Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

The Equalizer Climber!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Default The Equalizer Climber!

I went ahead and ordered a climber, I have never really been a huge fan of climbers, except of the Lone Wolf. I have always loved the concept of the Equalizer; it has a leveling system that can be used at anytime while climbing the tree. Obviously you cannot put weight on the piece that your leveling, or you will strip the gears. It has over 270" of welds on the stand, and the welds are not spot welds like you often see on other stands, they are a full length weld.

Specs:

Weight Limit: 300lbs
Carrying Weight: 20lbs

Fit and Finish: I was very impressed with the welds, and the powdercoat finish. The powdercoat looks and feels very durable. The platform has no slip ridges on it as well. And the stand is SUPER quiet.

Carrying: The stand comes with a 3-point backpack system, it goes onto the platform and works very effectively, and the straps are generously padded. The top of the climber slides over the platform, and sort of locks into the platform. The stand comes with an EZ Cinch strap, and you run the strap under the platform, and over the top and pull to tighten. It keeps the stands locked together very well!

Leveling System: I think this is the most impressive area of the stand, because it works so well, and is so quiet. While climbing the crooker Willow in my yard, I adjusted all the way up the tree, and still had more to go. To level the top, I stand up and crank the handle clockwise to being the stand up. To lower I go counter-clockwise.

Cable/Cable System: They call it a Swiftlock System, it goes through the cable silencer, and then locks into two holes and then slides up locking positively. Then there is a knob which you screw down into rail that keeps the cables from moving. It is extremely efficient and quick, probably the fastest climber I have ever set up. The cables are very quiet and very "beefy" (durable)!

Seat: It is without a doubt very comfortable, and better yet waterproof. It can be used in 3 positions. I use it for climbing to sit on, at the front of the stand. Then once to the desired height, you can quickly and quietly take the seat and move to to the back to sit on and lean up against the tree. The last position is a half standing, half sitting position.

Each side of the platform has a strap that connects to the top to keep the bottom from falling in case of emergency as well!

Overall, the stand is very impressive in the way it works, and all the adjustability you can get. For taller people it may be a little cramped, but they are working on building a larger model.

Swiftlock System

Seat and Stand

Gear System

Packed

Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Default RE: The Equalizer Climber!

Looks like a fine stand Jeff
Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a Summit sling seat on mine, the one Equalizer offers is too stiff and too short on the back. The seat that comes with the stand sits you up too high as you are sitting on the top rails. Here's alink that's been on here a while now.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1525964&mpage=1
Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I use a Summit sling seat on mine, the one Equalizer offers is too stiff and too short on the back. The seat that comes with the stand sits you up too high as you are sitting on the top rails. Here's alink that's been on here a while now.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1525964&mpage=1
Thanks for the link Rick, I actually like the regular seat, that the shooting bar is not in the way making it better for shooting. And from what I heard from others; the regular seat is a little more comfy than a sling seat. I played with it in the yard yesterday, and the winds were blowing about 35mph, and felt very comfy 20' up. Although I did not stay there for a while.....
Old 10-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

Each side of the platform has a strap that connects to the top to keep the bottom from falling in case of emergency as well!
Jeff, not only do those straps keep the platform within reach if you drop it with your feet, but when you tighten them down when you get to where you want to be on the tree, they lock that stand down like nothing you've ever seen. That stand will feel like it is bolted to the tree.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

Jeff, not only do those straps keep the platform within reach if you drop it with your feet, but when you tighten them down when you get to where you want to be on the tree, they lock that stand down like nothing you've ever seen. That stand will feel like it is bolted to the tree.
Intresting, I will have to tighten those babies down when I climb up there this weekednd!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's exactly right about the straps. Did you get the vidieo with the stand? I ment to comment on that in my 1st reply but forgot as I was searching for the other thread to post.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you buy it from someone else besides the manufacturer and how do you use the platform to climb...does it have straps or rails for your feet?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

That's exactly right about the straps. Did you get the vidieo with the stand? I ment to comment on that in my 1st reply but forgot as I was searching for the other thread to post.
Sure did, I watched it the first night. And today was the first hunt I used the stand and it rocked. I am not a huge fan of heights, but I climbed at least 20' this morning. Rock solid, especially after tightening those straps!

Geronimo: On the standing platform there are two large black straps which your feet go through, they are elastic, and hold your feet in very nicely, unlike some other straps I have used.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I remember when my Equalizer was new out of the box and looked like that. Now it looks 3 years old and hunted hard...because it is. I'm a fan. I too ordered their sling seat and returned it after one hunt due to it being stiff and it made too much noise. I don't use the elastic boot bands for climbing, but just hook my feet under the 45 degree braces. Works very well.
This is a very solid stand and the company seems to be good and has good customer service. This statement is in contrast to a post I made last year when I was having a problem and could not get them to return my calls, but once I got in touch with them, the corrected my problem by sending me a whole new stand (bottom portion), FEDEX overnight. Based on them doing the right thing...quickly, I give them a thumbs up.