Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!! >

Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!

This is one cool article ... one buck, through 8 years of life ..... the photographer could only get pictures of this guy during the rut ...... other than that, he was completely nocturnal ..... I wonder how many bucks like this guy die of old age .....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1631624_0,00.html
Old 06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!

here he is at 1.5, 2.5, 4.5 years old respectively

Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

and 5.5, 6.5, and 7.5 years old .....

Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

and finally at 8 1/2 years old .... what a pig!!!! Majestic .......

Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is awesome. I've seen and killed some big bucks but they were never that old. If I can just have one encounter with an old bruiser like that. Look at the body size at 8 years!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the article .....

"These shots are all of the same buck, that's what makes them so unique and rare.

I made a promise to the caretaker of this private property that I wouldn't disclose the location where these shots were done so I can only tell you they are from the upper midwest.

After photographing this buck I became addicted to capturing him on film every fall. This area is one of the most difficult places to make good shots because it is all wooded and the overhead canopy keeps it dark until the leaves fall. Even then it is dark because the oak trees hold their leaves so late into the winter.

Compound this problem was the fact that this deer was almost totally nocturnal. He only came out during the daylight during the rut. It made for a nearly impossible task to get him on film.

He became my first "obsessesion deer." I spent all my savings just to purchase fast-enough lenses, sturdy-enough tripods, and the best silent cameras. For eight years I spent every fall, during the rut, trying to get usable images of him. I spent so much time at it that my career suffered; business-wise my time would have been spent much more wisely photographing more productive areas.

But it was a grueling, satisfying journey. This buck taught me a tremendous amount about whitetail behavior, physiology, biology and social dynamics, so much that in seven seasons I gained a lifetime of knowledge from him.

He's my favorite whitetail subject ever, not just for his tremendous antlers but for his brutishly "boss" look. He only had to throw a glance at other bucks to make them back down. He's probably the largest-bodied whitetail I've ever seen. If I've ever seen a 400-pound whitetail, he was it!

I only ever saw his rut personality because that was the only time I could ever observe him; I never got a picture of him when he wasn't either with a doe or chasing does. His pattern was to never leave the hot doe alone. As long as I didn't spook her, I could get photos of him, if there was enough light! And there were a lot of photos of him that had to be thrown in the trash because poor light made for an unusable image.

How'd he get this big? The property owners made a conscious decision not to harvest him if the chance arose, thank goodness they did because they allowed one of the greatest bucks ever to live to a ripe old age!"
--Bill Kinney
Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is a nice buck. i wish io could see somethin like that in my woods
Old 06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the pics.

It also shows the patterning. That picture at 2.5 is in the exact same spot as 4.5 years. I also think that is just about the same exact spot at 8.5 years.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Cool pics; thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Great pics and story...thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Look at him at 5 1/2 years old!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.