Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your opinions on shed hunting >

Your opinions on shed hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinions on shed hunting

Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Your opinions on shed hunting

I recently emailed a question to the Ohio Division of Wildlife on weather finding and keeping a deer skull is legal. I do know people who have found old skulls, with antlers attached, some in good shape, some bad shape from age and being chewed on by rodents and such. My question is this................... Do you think it is the same as finding a shed if you were to find a skull with antlers attached? How the deer got there and how it died can't be determined, could have been a bad shot, could have been hit by a car, could havebeen injured in a fight with another buckor any number of things. I didn't get into specifics when I emailed the question as to what to do if you come across one but I have been told that the ODNR will confiscate it and not let you keep it no matter what. They will not issue a tag for it period. What would you do? Keep it and take a chance of getting caught with it, or call and turn it in. Below are answers I got from ODNR. [/align][/align]Q :I was wondering if there are regulations on hunting white tail sheds. I
know in some states they require you to have a shed permit. Is this the
case in Ohio? [/align]A: As long as the shed is obtained on property in which you can legally
have it, then you are ok to have them, as long as we can see 100% that
it hasn't been cut off. Thanks [/align][/align]Pretty simple and makes sense I think. [/align][/align]Q: Another question about shed hunting......................I know several
people who have found whole deer skulls in the past, nothing huge but a
skull with antlers attached. Is this considered a shed ? Most likely a
road kill or bad shot that never got tracked down. [/align]A : A shed is the horns that have naturally fallen off the deer; sheds are
legal to pick up and keep. The whole skull is not a shed, and it is not
legal to keep the skull. Thank you.[/align][/align]Now would a deer that died naturally fall into this category???? There are several busy roads around my hunting area and it isn't uncommon to find dead deer in the spring when mushroom hunting that were hit and ran until the fell over. [/align][/align]Just looking for some opinions..........................

[/align]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your opinions on shed hunting

Sssshhhhh, you don't say a word!

All kidding aside, there's NO WAY I'd give up a B&C class buck if I found him on MY property or property I had permission to be on! [:@]
Old 03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

The DNR used the word horns??

I would keep it. That sounds like they do not know what they are talking about.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i saw a spike shed on someone elses property i would take it lol
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM

Unfortunately laws, just like people are often imperfect. This is why they are often both interpreted and applied differently depending upon the situation.

Best bet is to get in contact with the warden or EPO in your area and ask him or her. They're the person who'll be busting you if you're doing anything wrong anyhow.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

well i found askull today 8 pointer i was working in jersey and decided to take a walk in this lil 2 acre wetland area i had seen some deer tracks well there it was and now is on my dresser so if they wanna come get it from me have fun trying lol its a lil chewd up but pretty cool second buck scull i found but the best one yet
Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 PM

My bro-law found a dead buck with some very nice horns. He contacted the DNR and was allowed to keep it. They came out and put a tag on it. He did get a little grief for moving it before they came.