Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Form problem.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Form problem.

When I am shooting I have a bad habit of sighting my pin below the target and then raising my pin to the target. I often find myself raising over the target and releasing the arrow instead of settling on the target. I know most people sight their pin just above the target and slowly lower their pin until they are on the target, settle and release, but I work the opposite way. Is there any exercises i can do to help my problem?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Form problem.

nope your doomed, you have to completely give up archery

on a serious note, i dont know [8D]
Old 02-01-2007, 03:22 PM

As long as your shooting well, it doesn't really make a difference. I say don't worry about it.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Practice drawing up and holding on the spot without releasing. Let down and do it again 8-10 times, then start your usual shooting practice. (or don't actually shoot at all.) You need to retrain your brain as to what a correct sight picture looks like.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot low .
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks Kodiakarcher. I'll give that a try. If any other have input please feel free to add something.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no set rule as far as I know on how you should aquire your target. I actually practice coming into the target from every position possible. One thing you want to watch for is freezing, and not being able to move onto the target, or punching (snap shooting) as the pin passes through the target. Both indicate the possible onset of target panic. Try this: Tighten the trigger tension on your release. Make sure the trigger falls into the the groove of your top knuckle, do not trigger the release by using the tip of your finger on the tip of the trigger, but instead hooking your finger nice and deep along the inside of the trigger along the release housing. To me it sounds like you are anticipating the release and that is where your trouble lies. I had this problem, and the above fix worked wonders for me because it does not allow you to punch the trigger if you do it correctly, but forces you to aim until the bow just goes off. BTW KodiakArcher's advice is also right on point, I have done it, and it also works well.

Shane
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM

sr77, Thanks for the advice. I actually just got a thumb style release, but have not shot it yet. I have tried one and it seems to be a lot more stiff than my wrist release. my wrist release is really sensitive and that could be the problem, but wouldnt tightening the tension make me punch the trigger more?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM

I think the only "form" problem you have is that other feller you hang out with....

Tetherbal anyone??
Old 02-01-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I think the only "form" problem you have is that other feller you hang out with....

Tetherbal anyone??
LOL.

Quick Reply: Form problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.