Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Public Hunting >

Illinois Public Hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Public Hunting

Old 01-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois Public Hunting

I am interested in hunting some Illinois Public Hunting due to increasing of prices for Outfitters (Good One's) and land for lease. Can anyone point me in hte right direction for a pretty good experience? I am mostly interested in the west, westcentral Illinois.Would appreciate any info.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Illinois Public Hunting

You might check with the Army Corps of Engineers. In some of their districts along the Mississippi River there are sometimes strips of land that are open to the public, but not a lot of folks know about it. That was the case up toward the Quad-Cities. It might be true for further south too.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

I am interested in hunting some Illinois Public Hunting due to increasing of prices for Outfitters (Good One's) and land for lease. Can anyone point me in hte right direction for a pretty good experience? I am mostly interested in the west, westcentral Illinois.Would appreciate any info.

Thats some good deer country over there, Pike and Adams are good areas. I have friends that hunt over there but they are on private land. Couldn't tell you if there ismuch public to hunt that way or not....Go a little further South and you can hunt the Shawnee. Check the map...Darn near runs the width of the South tip of the state.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim Edgar Panther Creek. I've never been there, but have talked to some people who have. There are some awesome deer there. In the past few years, pressure has increased though, but I've still heard of some awesome deer coming out of there.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info titleist 03, I have heard this area is one that might be pretty good, but also have read on several web sites that it has been crowded with hunters and they do not regulate hikers as well as quail and pheasant hunters during the bow season. I don't like the idea of gun hunters plugging away at birds at the same time I am trying to bowhunt deer. Let me know if you have heard anything different. Appreciate any input.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 AM
CDG

Sand Ridge is another good one. Its more central IL. Its about 30 miles south of Peoria good deer and turkey hunting there. Hardly any pressure there this year.All you need is a parking pass from the ranger station.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard some good things about Sanchris Lake state park in Kincaid. It's just south of Springfield. I don't know much about it besides they have a minimum, I'm not sure about pressure though.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

I would start by going to the IL DNR website and looking at what public land is available where your looking. You can also get stats there on alot of this land on how many people hunted it, and what the harvest was. This is a great way to start.

I have hunted Panther Creek for many years and did so this last year. Yes there are good bucks there but the pressure is getting crazy. If your a Non-Resident you have to put in for a lottery for the last week of Oct up to the gun season in Nov. The lottery has been free in the past but you still have to buy a tag if drawn. The resident hunters are getting thicker in there but its still not a bad place to hunt if your lucky enough not to have someone set up next to you.

Look at all the details on the public land too. Some areas dont allow NR, some limit them, and some you have to take a doe first.

Don
Old 01-31-2007, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, it is rather difficult to find decent public land to hunt. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I have limited time to hunt and want to plan what time I do have the best possible.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 AM

If you don't like seeing other hunters around you ,plan a later hunt after dec. 1 you will have the public land to your self .I shot this one on state land dec 12 2006.goodluck

[/align]

Quick Reply: Illinois Public Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.