Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Last day gun doe.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last day gun doe.

As some of you have read in JRW's thread (http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1929150 ), I got a doe Sunday on the last day of the late winter firearm season.

HereI am withher fat self...

...where she keeled over...

...and inJason's (JRW)garage before disassembly.

Here is the view from my stand.
With all this junk in the way,I wasreally surprised I got a shot, but things lined up real nice.

This is the view from thePoint of Impact (POI)looking back toward my stand.
She was standing between the stool and tagged bush when I ruined her morning.
My tree was inside the middle of the far trees just beyond the light colored leaning tree in the center.

Story below...

TGB
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Last day gun doe.

You shot Doezilla!

Congrats!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recipe for dead deer:

Ingredients-
1 healthy doe (including 2 intact lungs and 1 aortic artery)
1 Remington 870 shotgun with heavy rifled barrel and 2-4x scope
1 12-gauge Winchester SupremePartition Gold 385grain jacketed hollowpoint sabot slug
1 straight tree
1 solid treestand
200 acres ofcut cornfield
1 pinch of wind

Procedure-
Place tree 10 yards inside the treeline on the downwind side of the cornfield. Place treestand in tree. Turn off wind. Wait. Wait some more.

Notice6 deerenter your part of the woods from the field. Scratch head and wonder how they got across without you seeing them. Curse yourself (quietly) for day-dreaming, and hope they come down the trail near you.

Watch as deer turn around and go back into field the way they came in. Scratch head again, and notice you'll have a shot opportunity in about 5 seconds. At the right moment, make a very loud bleating sound with your mouth, making sure to sound like a cat being run through a ringer. (hey, it worked)

When the lead doe stops quartering awayat 125 yardsfrom your stand (yeah I know, read on...), settle the crosshairs on the top of her body far enough back to almost catch the liver, and press your right shoulder firmly into the tree trunk behind youand brace lefttricep and elbowagainst your chest for added steadiness (reverse sides for Christine).

Use the extra few seconds gained by stopping her to insure that you will clear the branchesin front of youwhile the doe waits for the others in her group to stop so she can listen more closely to whatever that horrendous sound was.

Gentlypress trigger of 870 to accelerate slug to 1,900fps. Place slug intonear lung and set on 'puree' until the aorta is severed and both lungs have 3" holes through them. Separate slug jacket from lead core. Allow fully opened jacket to continue through far side of deer, andcause well-mushroomed lead core to veer forward in the body cavity and lodge on the inside of the far shoulder.

Note direction of doe's travel. Pick landmarks to help find site of hit.Bake for45 minutes. Find POI, note lungtissue andbright pink bloodspray on far side of deer's tracks. Say thanks, call Steve to make sure somebody is crossing their fingers for you, and follow blood.

Upon finding dead doe 90 yards away in trees, say thanks again, take pics, and make phone call to another experienced hunter (Jason) for butchering lesson.

When done, post longest doe-kill story ever.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

P.S. Your "well-mushroomed lead core" is sitting in my office. I found it on the garage floor when I was cleaning.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.
I couldn't find it, and was hoping you had it somewhere.
I'll need that to go with all of the other gory pics for the educational stuff I'm putting together.

I'll get it from you sometime at bowhunter league.