Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maine......big woods......BIG deer >

Maine......big woods......BIG deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine......big woods......BIG deer

Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Maine......big woods......BIG deer

...............I posted this in the general forum but was asked to throw it here too

With a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, we were able to take down a monster 8 pointer last tuesday.

The morning had started off pretty warm, mid 30's and was forecast to climb in the 40's. The remainder of the snow from Sunday night was for sure going to melt. Finding these baby "moose" was going to get even more difficult. The four of us made our seperate ways to work the different areas of the big woods...the hardwoods on the ridge top...beaver bog's in the valleys.......green growth all around....and cuts from past logging.

After about 4 miles I found myself well over the ridgeline when I heard the shot. It was about 11 and the temp was climbing. Figured I should make my way back to the truck for lunch and to shed some clothing. We all met at the truck and had a bite to eat. My brother said he connected on a 8 pointer watched it fall and decided to make his way back to prepare for the drag. Never mentioning the actuall size of the deer.

We knew how far he was and nobody looked forward to the afternoon, but we headed out with tow rope in hand and many layers taken off.

After about 2 miles in and 2 beaver damns crossed we were there. When we came upon the deer no one could get over the mass of the body and the spread of its rack. How it was able to get through these woods was amazing, and the luck he had to find this guy out of his bed will never be forgotten.

the numbers..........he dressed out at 252lbs had a 30-3/8" spread (but just an 8 pntr haha). Each main beam exactly 27" long.

.......first beaver damn

.......drag

......second beaver damn

.....finally at the truck after 2.5 hrs

.......beer never tasted soooo good before!!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maine......big woods......BIG deer

Thats a heck of a buck, congrats.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

OH...MY...GOD...
Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

WOW! Thats a monster. Nice deer Fly! how far up in Maine you guys hunting? I just hunted on the Maine NH border yesterday and today. Man big woods and its hard to figure out where to set up!
How were you guys hunting? Just walking around covering alot of ground?

Jim
Old 11-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Hey Airborne.......those were our words exactly when we finally got up to it.

neck4752......we were northwest of katahdin (the first picture). There is a whole different world up there with the logging roads and a bunch of heater hunters. To find these guys you have to hit the big ridges...find where their feeding and track em back to their bedding areas. These guys will put themselves in the thickest green growth during the day, and unless their rutting hard (which they haven't yet) they won't budge. Grab yourselve a GPS and get walkin.......were puttin on between 6 and 10 miles a day.

This guy had to have caught our scent while we were making our way through the christmas trees and bogs for him to move.......remember....a lot of hard work and hope for a little luck!!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Thats AWESOME Fly! So when you kick em up from the bed how you getting shots, on the run?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 AM

Hey neck........hopefully no running shots needed. Just have to stay on these guys until a shot opens up.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome Buck!!! Now thats what I call a Big Maine Buck
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

What a beauty! Nice rack and big bodied. I love how the northern deer can have nice racks and huge bodies compared to southern deer. More meat...YUMMY!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

What a freak!
Congrats to him...
Some buddies of mine were there last week as well... One took a 238# 11pt and another took a 208# 8pt and one 4 pt.
Nice pics.

Quick Reply: Maine......big woods......BIG deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.