Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 processing your own deer? >

processing your own deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

processing your own deer?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default processing your own deer?

I know lots here do, but for those who have never done it, and want to learn, Would you like to see steps in the process? I took pics of our last one, step by step, to show a friend how it's done, was wondering if anyone here would like to learn how as well? if so, I'll post them. Scott.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: processing your own deer?

sounds like a good idea Scott i butcher my own as well...but maybe your particularly good-quick at butchering lets see how you do it...i think it would be a good post

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I'm willing to check it out. Mine have gotten successively better over the years, but I'm always up for learning.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 PM

I am definitely interested......I want to process mine this year.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM

yea that would be cool if you did that
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys, here it goes, first I start of with skinning, I do it by hanging from the base of the head, and pull down, cut off just above the knees on the front feet. I know some like the gambrel, and I've used it too, but prefer this method as you'll see later. I continue with the skinning down over the rear quarters, and stop at this point, and leave the rear feet on the ground, it keeps the deer from spinning while working on it. I wont go into the whole skinning thing, that's pretty basic, start around the neck work down, that's it.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do it up man, would be awesome as this is something I want to get into. Great idea!

Shane
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

After skinning, I then remove the front quarters, this is easy, just pull up on the leg, and use a knife and follow up the arm pit, there is no bone to seperate here guys, knife is all you'll need.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

next remove neck meat, Idon't have a pic of that, but its just some layersbetween the shoulder and head, and it's easy to remove,and get down to the back straps, here,start as far up as posible, using a fish fillet knife, and donnot pull on the strap, let gravity work it down as you fillet next to the bone. When you get to the hip bone, just cut if off, and set it aside and do the other side.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

back strap removed, this is not bad to do, just take your time here, This is the best part of the deer to eat, so don't waste it!

Quick Reply: processing your own deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.