Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest! >

Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest!

If you followed my "quick bow setup" thread in the tech forum, you know I recently determined I needed a new rest for my Tribute. Our local store doesn't really have too big a selection; it came down to about every various NAP on the market (which was the maker of the Micro 3000 I had just removed from my bow because it didn't offer enough adjustment to obtain centershot, so those were out for me...), Trophy Taker, and Muzzy. [/align][/align]I screwed a Shakey Hunter onto my Tribute, and was extremely unhappy with the hard slap it made when slamming against the shelf; that left the Muzzy as the only local option.[/align][/align]I've got to admit at this point that I really had just simply never been interested in purchasing one before; I thought they were garrish, bulky and even "Frankenstein-ish" (don't shoot me, Muzzy-lovers everywhere ) ... I also thought that they would be a royal pain to set up and tweak.[/align][/align]After asking from some input from Matt/Pa (who tinkers with various rests as much as anyone I know), I agreed with him that I liked the concept of bow-driven rests (e.g., the Muzzy and Vapor Trail's Limbdriver) over the principle of cord or spring-driven rests. I wasn't crazy about the Limbdriver's long string stretching from the rest itself to the top limb, though I've heard awesome things about the rest. I just saw it as something that could catch on a limb or some brush.[/align][/align]After some thought, I ended up walking out with the new Muzzy Zero Effect, and installed it yesterday... I've only got one word to say about it: sw-eeee-eeet!!! Pass me the salt, because though I never publicly said anything negative that I can remember, I've probably still got some major crow to eat, if nothing else for all those bad thoughts I've had about it.[/align][/align]This thing is so simple in design, so efficient, so practical, and infinitely adjustable... it is also SO quiet! [:-]I mean DEAD quiet! And I can't conceive of how anything could possibly go wrong with the rest; as mentioned, the rest itself is driven out of the way of the fletching by the action of the bow itself being shot. In this case, the rest is attached to a teflon cable slide provided by Muzzy to replace the factory one.[/align][/align]Here's a pic of it installed on my Tribute so you can see what I'm talking about...[/align][/align][/align][/align]You can see the screw which comes through the part of the rest where the Muzzy label is attached; that's the adjustment screw which controls elevation. Screw it in to make it hit that contact plate above it sooner, and the rest can't come up past that point. Unscrew it, and the arm of the rest is allowed to come up higher before contact is made. Extremely simple.[/align][/align]You can also see in that same above pic the arm of the rest and the rod which comes back and sticks through that same arm with the Muzzy logo -- this time below the logo. There's a hex-head screw right above it which can be loosened, allowing the arm to be either pushed in further or pulled out further. Once centershot is obtained, you can simply tighten down the screw.[/align][/align]Here's the reverse view...[/align][/align][/align][/align]Here I am adjusting centershot during installation with my favorite new tuning tool. Before you attach the linkage arm to the provided cable slide, you have to manually lift the rest arm into place to see where your arrow will sit at full draw...[/align][/align][/align][/align]Unlike most rest manufacturers that I have dealt with, Muzzy provides everything you need for a COMPLETE installation, including the arrow holder and all the moleskin you see in this pic. In fact, the moleskin for the rest arm is already pre-cut, and fits pefectly.[/align][/align][/align]
I've also got to give MAJOR, MAJOR props to the instructional DVD included with the rest; I hold a master's in English with an emphasis in teaching composition as well as a strong background in journalism... One of my biggest pet peeves of all time is having to decipher written instructions which make absolutely no sense at all!

I firmly believe a sixth-grader could have installed the Zero Effect properly on my bow utilizing that DVD; way to go, Muzzy!! The instructional DVD also has a FAQ section and a bonus of three bowhunts. Very well done indeed.[/align][/align]This just may be my favorite rest now, even though I still love my APA Safari Twister and am shooting great with it. Both fallaways are extremely quiet, but the Muzzy may even be a touch more silent, if possible...[/align][/align]The results don't lie, either; here's the first three-shot group after sighting in... The only reason the shafts are in the bag at slightly different angles is because the bag turned with the force of the arrow's impacta little when each shot hit.[/align][/align][/align][/align]After shooting close to a hundred arrows through this baby, I'm still in as much awe over its simplicity and silky smooth quiet action as I initially was; I'd give it an A+![/align][/align]
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest!

Great review Greg and first I want to give props for using the Gear Review Forum for what it was intended for and not asking questions that belong either in the Bowhunting or Technical Forum.

I am impressed with the rest only through your review thus far. If I was in need or want for a rest, I would now consider the Muzzy Zero Effect as I have not had the pleasure of ever having my hands on this particular rest. I do have the TT Pronghorn on my Allegiance and as you said, the slap down to the riser is softened by the moleskin however, there is a thud if that's the correct word when the arm comes down on the riser. On my friends Switchback we had to actually saw off part of the arm of the Shakey Hunter to get center shot on his Switchback.

Another great instructional picture of the laser tuner as well. Isn't that the cats meow for tuning center shot. I love it too.

Thanks Greg, the thread and photos, well just fantastic and will certainly aid someone. Kudos.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a quick follow-up on the NAP 3000 Microtune issue... NAP supposedly told the shop owner when he called about the centershot issue that it was a known problem when installing their rest on a BowTech, and they would be sending a modified launcher arm for this purpose out free of charge right away.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good review......if I were to buy another drop away, I would probably buy one of these. I'm liking my QT 360 too much right now though to change anything this year for my hunting bow.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Greg, Greg, Greg...

Please stop giving positive reviews of equipment and tuning accessories.

I'm spending money I haven't even earned yet! I'm in the market for a new rest, and after this review I have a feeling I'll be picking up an MZE when the time comes.

Chances are it won't be until this next spring or summer when I also purchase a new bow, but something tells me my mind is already made up.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I really like my Schaffer rest I use now, but I need to put a new rest on my son's bow.............I am thinking the Muzzy might be it when I do. Great review and the pictures add to the review. Thanks Greg.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great review and pictures. I have been using a muzzy since about a month after they first came out. I wouldnt trade mine for 2 of any ither rests out there. I have one on each of my bows (2). Never a problem with either. Yes they may look a little funny and people may think they are hard to setup but as you said it is a very simple thing to do.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:24 PM

I have to agree with everything stated in your review
As I said way back, (with much criticism) how great the rest was and soon you'd all be using one,well Irest my case ..pardon the pun
Old 09-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like a very good thang!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Outstanding Review!!!

I didn't have time to make a comment on your tuning review so I will include it here. If a picture is worth a thousand words how does that translate into dollars for the companies you have plugged? If I didn't own the products you have reviewed you can bet your bottom dollar I would be looking for this merchandise. Very well done, simple straight forward insruction, terrific illustrations, it couldn't get any better...

Quick Reply: Pass the salt... MAJOR kudos to the Muzzy Zero Effect rest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.