Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper tune? yes or no >

Paper tune? yes or no

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tune? yes or no

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Paper tune? yes or no

I went to my pro shop yesterday and told them I was having trouble tuning my bow. (Hoyt Trykon) he asked well how are you triing to tune it? I told him paper and bareshaft the way its explained in eastons tuning guide. he said i never heard of this so called guide and paper tuning is a waste of time it never works and that Im wasting time triing to tune a wisker biscuit because they are basicly junk. So needless to say I left the bow there and told him to put a rest on it he liked and set everything up the way he wanted and Ill come back and see what happens. As you can guess Im really frustrated because season opens in a week. So I was wondering how many guys/girls agree with the pro shop that paper tuning is a waste of time.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Paper tune? yes or no

I think the fellow at your " pro" shop is a real smacked ass!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:48 PM

I think maybe I would look for another pro shop. That's just rubbish! We paper tune WB's at the shop all the time..no worries, on Trykons as well. Maybe he is just new at this....[&:]
Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 PM

I personally don't care for paper tuning myself because I can eyeball a set up close enough to get started. I will usually just go right to bare shaft testing or group tuning. Paper tuning is too easy to trick for me to have a lot of faith in it. If you have poor form it is nearly useless and frustrating. If you have really good form it won't tell you much unless your rest is way off or you have fletching contact.

HOWEVER, I think you should find a new shop if it's possible. If he has never even heard of Eastons tuning guide I am going to guess he hasn't been to their school or workshops. I would question how he considers himself a pro if he has had no formal training to speak of? Or is he a national champion or certified coach? If not he is just another hick shop owner with an opinion. Not that that's bad, some really know their stuff and have been around the block a few times. But some are clueless and barely know how to order the right stock for their shop.

Now a days with so much info on the net and great forums like this one most of us know more than some of the shop owners that won't for whatever reason get on the internet and take a look around.

I can't believe none of the shops in my area use any of the new software for arrow selection yet. It is just so much better than looking at a chart and guessing, especially with all the different bows on the market now. I've been pushing it to a few of the shops in my area. I mean once you know how fast a set up will push a specific weight arrow they are very accurate at predicting the correct spine. They may not be perfect, but they are one heck of a lot better than guessing or using a cheesy online calculator. Or Lord forbid those crappy online charts for some of the carbon arrows.

And any shop that will talk smack about a proven design will have trouble getting my money. I don't really care for the WB rests, but they can be made to shoot just as well as any other rest. I have set up a few. While I didn't like messing with them they functioned just fine.

The shop I used to go to the guy was a very opinionated little old man. An EX marine so he didn't mind telling you how he felt. However he knew his crap and was good at it. If he didn't like a product (he didn't care for drop a ways much) he just wouldn't carry them. If you asked he would tell you he didn't care for it and usually had an intellegent reason. Then he would tell you if that is what you wanted you could get one at Cabela's or another shop in the area.

He wouldn't hold it against you and he would even help you install it or tune it if you needed it. He just wouldn't waste his money stocking equipment he didn't have faith in. It's hard to argue with that sort of honesty. Sadly he had a heart attack while jogging[][&o] a few years ago.

The new guy tries his best but at least admits he is in a learning process and doesn't try to act like he knows it all.

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

With todays center shot tuning aids like the laser tuner and the level systems made, is paper tuning obsolete? Kinda, A laser center tuner is hard to argue with. It's obvious this will give you perfect center fire and the levels will get the arrow coming out pefect and you can get your nock high as you see fit. If it doesn't paper tune after that, perhaps spine is wrong and/or your torquing the bow.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:01 AM

I don't know if it's a waste of time, but I certainly wouldn't stop there. In the same vein, paper tuning is hardly necessary. The only real benefit that I get from it, is to get close when setting my nock height. If you really want to tune your setup to shoot it's best, you have to bareshaft your arrow to tune for spine. Then walkback tune for both centershot and nock height.

I wouldn't dream of paper tuning without the others. As you can see, if you're going to do the others anyway, why bother with the paper tuning. I can usually eyeball my initial settings close enough to eliminate any "getting it close" benefits that paper tuning may give me.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you maybe paraphrasing a bit, but your take on it is what matters. Paper tuning is something to do if you want but group tuning is what I do to tune. I guess since you've already started down the road you'll just have to see if the guy knows his stuff. Here's hoping he does.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM

I hate to say it but I think Im going to sell it back to him and go buy a Bowtech just so I dont have to talk to that shop anymore. They lost a customer Im sure of that. I forgot to mention that when i said paper tune they said something about shooting an arrow with no flethching dosnt make sense anyways and when i said you do paper tune with fletchings they looked at me like I was stupid. I hate to give up the hoyt but the other hoyt dealer in my area is also a mathews dealer and he's really pushy on the mathews and it drives me up a wall.So if this is how the hoyt dealers sre going to be its time to buy a Bowtech and see how that goes. thanks for the feed back guys its good to hear some people know what they are talking about. I understand the mixed views on paper tuning what I couldnt understand is this so called proshop never hearing of eastons tuning guide and basicly telling me im stupid and I dont know what Im talking about.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

If the shop has never heard of paper tuning..............he sounds as if he has a lot to learn. Although I do paper tune, its merely a good starting point. Walkback tuning is much more effective in my opinion and that takes place after I paper tune.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

heck, with a set of levels, a set of allen wrenches, 2 GOOD bareshafts, 2 GOOD fletched shafts, and a 40 yards range make paper tuning obsolete to me

add some GOOD broadheads to the mix, and I'm tuned up and ready to go.

Quick Reply: Paper tune? yes or no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.