Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smoking While Deerhunting

Old 09-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Smoking While Deerhunting

This is my first time whitetail deer hunting. Can you smoke while dear hunting? I will be in a blind so the deer wont beable to see the motion in between puffs. What are your thoughts about it. (please dont write about i should quit smoking, that is not what im looking for) Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smoking While Deerhunting

Dude, i've heard of it being done before but I don't thinkthat anyone can actually give you a deffinitive answer on this ......p.s. Quit smoking.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I won't do it in a ground blind, but if you are 25-30' in a tree stand, it won't matter!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

This comes up every year and there are somesay it makes no differanceand some say it scares away the deer. I don't smoke at all but if I am awake I have a big dip of Skoal in. I have seen deer smell around mypath and come on in and some sniff and go. I am out to enjoy my hunt and I can't do that if I am in a nicotine fit from not dipping. If it scares some away so be it but there will be some that pay no attention to the smoke.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sprintflyer

This comes up every year and there are somesay it makes no differanceand some say it scares away the deer. I don't smoke at all but if I am awake I have a big dip of Skoal in. I have seen deer smell around mypath and come on in and some sniff and go. I am out to enjoy my hunt and I can't do that if I am in a nicotine fit from not dipping. If it scares some away so be it but there will be some that pay no attention to the smoke.
I hear that. I dont spit on the ground. I use a cup with a straw in it and spit down the straw. And I have a cupholder on my stand!I figured it would cover the scent more with a lid on the cup.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:54 PM

I have also been told both ways. Me personaly I smoke while Ihunt at about 1 per hour. I have killed both does and bucks. I killed a doe last year and lit up within 15 minutes after killing it. A buck walked out in same field while im smoking and i took it also. So i have killed deer while smoking but im sure i have spooked some off i never saw.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know, but, I just quit smokeing this past January, after 30 years.
I used to think it didn't matter. I will let let you know!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 AM

i agree with rebel hog..

i smoke up in the air and out ashes and butts in a container, that's
taken out of woods..

deer rely on eyes, ears and nose.. so i figure they can scent that nasty
smell on ground..

heat usually rises so the smoke goes up, unitl a down draft..

haven't you been outside of a building and smelled someone smoking
aways from ya?.. keep that in mind..
Old 09-04-2006, 07:09 AM

If it's what you want to do, go for it. If yoursetup close to huntin buddiesI wouldn't.I dip Skoal straightand have never seendeer spook that were under my stand."Skoal Brother"
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Derlete

Quick Reply: Smoking While Deerhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.