Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taking does early? >

Taking does early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking does early?

Old 08-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taking does early?

I hunt in northeast WI and im in an earn-a-buck management unit, which means i have to shoot an antlerless deer before i can get a buck tag. I have no problem shooting does during rifle season at the end of november, but seeing as how our bow season starts in a lil over a month , im a bit hesitant to shoot a doe that might still have fawns depending on her for milk and all that learning stuff. How many of you deal with this sort of problem where you hunt, and what do you tell yourselves to help you get past it? Thanks for the advice
Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM

Default RE: Taking does early?

As long as she doesn't have the fawns following or around her then take her.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those fawns will be just fine without her. They do not need to nurse anymore.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Those fawns will be just fine without her. They do not need to nurse anymore.
This is fact.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

My family will eat just 3 deer a year, so I tag two does right off the bat and spend the rest of the season looking for a big boy. I see lots of does with fawns, and I always let them walk. I always seem to find my two doe pretty early with out fawns.

I know others who will tag the fawn and call it good. Very tender meat, and you dont have to worry about leaving an animal to suffer.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to shoot does early. Fawns will live, don't worry.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 PM

My goal is to have 3 does on the ground by end of October. That's one every 2 weeks. Buck fawns will be pushed away very soon anyway, and doe fawns can fend for themselves. Take no shame, and worry not, about busting a doe early in the season.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My goal is to have 3 does on the ground by end of October. That's one every 2 weeks. Buck fawns will be pushed away very soon anyway, and doe fawns can fend for themselves. Take no shame, and worry not, about busting a doe early in the season.
Ditto, except I only need two does on the ground... (I figure the two bucks I'll kill later will be help the total... and then there's always the late-season does... )

I like what Bill Winke, I think it was, wrote in one of his articles lately about taking does early and how it helped "hone" his shooting-at-real-deer mentality; I agree.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 PM

(I figure the two bucks I'll kill later will be help the total... and then there's always the late-season does... )
Greg, you don't STILL plan on following me around all season, do you????

Old 08-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Spike

I purposely look for does with button buck fawns early on, it has kept at least three of those bucks in my area. I keep up my trail cams up year around, and have kept track of these bucks going on three years.

Quick Reply: Taking does early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.