Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fawn Pic

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fawn Pic

Just wanted to sharethis pic from the other daywith the motion camera, and I was thinking:
year-round food plots => healthy does => healthy fawns...
-fsh

Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fawn Pic

Nice picture - Your fawn looks very healthy - and likely born early in the fawing period. A great sign that things are well - as you said.

My camera's have caught several fawns as well - and many more twin fawns than the last couple years, - goes to show they made it through winter well enough. - Its about time things were back on the upswing here.

Here's a fawn that looks "small" for this time of year.

Note the date is 7-27

We've seen a few larger fawns too - but the presence of "young" fawns tell us things are not 100% in balance.

Thanks for posting - its an interesting comparison in age - Where are you located? When is your Peak Breeding dates (ours is 2nd-3rd week November).

FH
Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

FH
- I had the camera set up in that location hoping to catch some photos of a doe with triplets, perhaps the same doe who had triplets last year.Many does have twins and there are a few with single fawns. Near as I can tell, noyearlings produced fawns. I have a few "late" fawns around too.
- I am in Charles Co, MD, ~35 miles south of Wash DC. On the nearby Navy Base, we harvest fetuses from does (bow season runs to 31 Jan) and back-calculate breeding dates. Peak breedingisconsistentlyfrom7 to 13 Nov.
-fsh

Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

fshafly2 - any nice bucks on your cam this year? Ours has been "Pretty quiet" thus far. With all the water - my waterhole camera sights are LAME this summer. We've had to rely on mineral licks and trails (not the most reliable until late summer) for our pictures.

Here is a good prospect buck, even if not this year:

hopefully we'll turn up a couple really nice bucks this month.

FH
Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

FH
I'm having the same experience as youdescribed. I'm hoping to get some pics of the bucks who dropped sheds in my fields last winter; I posted two shed pics in another threadhttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1442246&mpage=2&key=shed&#14 43186). The very nice bucksusually show upAugust in the soybean field. A friend spotted one (?)of these guys not too far away just the past week.

Here is one buck with some potential (ditto: over a mineral lick; my licks have minimal visitation after mid-July) - he'll be nice next year if he survives...

-fsh
Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 PM

hey those are some nice pics always good to see fawns runnin around.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:56 AM

thanks for sharing
Old 08-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

FH
- well, no pics ofany big ones (yet). I am down to one camera these days. In the last three days, I counted ~23 branched bucks on three different farms - 5 "shooters". The bachelor herds arenow coming out into the fields inthe evening hours. It's like clockwork every year - they are likely sorting out their social order... Where these guys allcome from, God only(?) knows. All I know is this is theonly time of year you'll get to see some of these (older) guys, they'll crawl back into their foxholes before our 15 Sept opener or only move at night... Then you can only hope its yourlucky day during the rut .
- I watched the tripletsfor about 1/2 hour the other evening grazing in the alfalfa/clover field - still wondering if a doe has triplets one year, will she likely have triplets next year?

-fsh
Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Nice pictures. Nice bucks.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure she'll have the chance at triplets year to year - but it all depends on the previous winter I'd say. Not just the food available - but the severity of the winter.

I cannot say for sure - but look at this doe in May - I wonder if she isn't the mother of "my triplets" - she sure is sway backed! She was certaintly ready to bust.

FH

Quick Reply: Fawn Pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.