Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics >

**Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

**Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

So this has been quite a struggle this year to get in w/ all the rotten weather. There are 2 plots we are putting in this year. The first one that I have pics of below is a 1.2 acre plot (125 yards x 45 yards). This was a golden rod field that hasn't been cut or touched for about 15 years. We brush hogged it first in late May, then about 2 weeks sprayed it w/ a weed killer that the local feed supply place supplied us with. After spraying, we then brush hogged it off again about a month ago. We then let everything sit and really die off till this weekend. First pic is after the first brush hogging, and before spraying.

This pic is after spraying w/ the herbicide:

Then today we finished up the discing..........as can be seen below.

Tomorrow I will hit it w/ a few passes with the rake on the back of the tractor, then apply a full ton of lime to it, then rake once more and let it sit till 2nd-3rd week in August when I will spread seed and cultipack it. Plans for this is to be almost all Full Draw, which is almost entirely a broadleaf as many of you know. We grew it last year at my buddy's place in Oneonta, NY and it did well and lasted well into November, so we hope it does well here. Right now before lime, soil is testing at 5.5-6 for PH......so hopefully a ton of lime will do the trick for this year. I plan to spread another ton next spring and then plant premium perennial clover over a lot of it, and another fall seeding of a broadleaf/turnip for the other half. Let me know what you guys think..............
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My PA Food Plot Pics - 7/21 -

More pics tomorrow when I get the other plot disced up. And Rob, if you see this there is plenty of room for you to come up here and hunt a bit if you desire.......there are a few hogs up here. I am off in the next half hour to glass for a few of them...........
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

looks great Rick... I have a bunch of MUD plots here in Ohio I wish were as dry and workableas your plot is. Good luck and enjoy hunting the fruits of your labors
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't wait for more pics as it grows, what are you intending on planting?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Biologic Full Draw is going to be the majority of this one. It is mostly a broadleaf w/ lots of brassicas, wheat, etc all geared towards lasting well into November and early december. I will also do about a 1/4 acre of premium perennial in this plot. I have another 1/4 acre plot that will be rape and turnip that I am working on tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man does spreading lime suck badly when you cheap out and buy powder instead of pelletized. We spread a full ton today on this and it wouldn't sift down through the hopper on the seeder/spreader, so I had to stand on the tongue of it while pops drove the tractor, I had to keep stirring it the whole time w/ a 25 lb pry bar for 3 hours while we spread...........what a pile of crappy work. Anyways it is done. I also sprayed the other small 1/4 plot that is going in this year. In the next week, pops will get the tine harrow and rake over this to smooth it all out and mix the lime in a bit, and I am heading down in about 2 weeks to seed both plots. I don't have pics of the other plot but that one will be very nice even though it isn't as big, it is VERY remote. Anyhow, here is a pic of the big plot all limed after our work today.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks - really, really good. Should be a super plot thisfall - nice
pictures and information.

Can't wait to see late Sept pics.

FH
Old 07-24-2006, 07:33 AM

hope all your hard workpays off its looking good
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

I may have missed this, but are you fertilizing the FD plot?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phade

I may have missed this, but are you fertilizing the FD plot?
I am fortunate because my father has been spreading manure on this plot 2x a week for the last 3 years. I have done no formal fertilizing, however I am confident that the manure spreading is gonna take care of that.

Quick Reply: **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.