In..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased. >

Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased.

Okay, just came home from the archery shop. I shot the Bowtech Allegiance, Bowtech Tribute, Mathews Switchback and Hoyt Trykon. Keep in mind that I went into this venture with a total open mind and I knew I was coming home the owner of a new bow.

In a way, I went into this hoping that either the Bowtechs or the Mathews would impress me so much over one or the other and make me switch bow companies. First I will go so far to say that all 4 of these bows are top notch bows and if anyone, and I mean anyone could bad mouth any of them then, that one person doesn't know bows and archery...I mean all 4 are outstanding and I'd be happy with absolute any of them.....but I can't buy all 4 at this time so I had to put them up head to head as best we could to make a decision on what felt right in my hand, satisfied me above all else and meets my expectations. That being said, here are the setups and the stats for the night.

Arrow: Easton ACC, 100 gr head, 2" Blazers = 381 grains.

Feel:
Being a Hoyt shooter for so many years it's not surprising that I rank the Trykons thin handle at the top but followed so closly by the Allegiance and the Tribute. I've never like the Mathews grips in the past but I was very pleased with the Switchbacks handle...one of the best in my book but I was still feeling the thinner handles.

Draw
: As far as drawing the bows...I'd have to rank the Bowtech Allegiance at the top of the list followed by the Tribute, Switchback and then the Trykon. Oddly enough there was a guy there watching us intently as we experimented and he would speak up from time to time...at this venture he mentioned that I drew the Allegiance and the Trykon the smoothest..this was from his visual point of view. I like the Allegiance over the Tribute and the Trykon last only because of it's harsh cam design..

Shot: I'd rank the Allegiance at the top and equally like the Switchback, Tribute and Trykon. If I had to chose a bow strickly on the shot, it'd be the Allegiance.

Noise: No doubt that the Switchback was slightly quieter than the Tribute but barely quieter than the Allegiance or the Trykon...no meters here, all by sound and help from those around us.

Vibration: This one actually surprised me, at the top of the list are the Trykon and the Allegiance followed by the Switchback and then the Tribute but all were very vibration free. Note: the Trykon did have all the factory vibration dampeners while the others did not, excluding the harmonic dampeners of the Switchback.

This brings us to Speed:

We shot 3 bows at 60 lbs, 29" draw, the Trykon, Switchback and Allegiance.

Switchback 268 fps.
Trykon 281 fps.
Allegiance 279 fps.

These are impressive numbers at 60lbs.

We shot 2 bows at 70 lbs, 29" draw, the Trykon and the Tribute

Tribute 291 fps
Trykon 301 fps

The Tyrkon was clearly faster than the other 4 by margins and the difference is insignificant when it comes to the difference in sight adjustments, pin gap and trajectory....the best of the best 3D shooters couldn't shoot the difference.

My current setup in my hunting bow, Hoyt Vortec, 28 3/4 68 lbs shot 271 fps.

So, taking in all the above, shooting arrow after arrow through all 4 bows staggering each as I shot over 3 hours and taking in everyone's opinions that stood around knowing what we were attempting I picked my new bow. Everyone around me said that I shot the Allegiance and the Trykon the best, from form to accuracy, noise, follow through, speed and drawing. Again, I wanted to be pulled away from the Hoyt line but with all else being equal....feel, comfort, noise, vibration, the Trykon sold me on speed, KE and looks. I would however seriously consider the Allegiance because it's a superb bow and if I could afford it, I'd buy the Allegiance as well. Seriously considering selling my '01 Vortec and getting the Allegiance too.

I know many of you will say, I knew it....it figures....etc..etc...I really didn't want the Hoyt....I even said that in the shop...I wanted to be overly impressed the the other lines and as impressive as they are....I loved the Trykon...the Trykon isn't for everyone...you have to be an old Hoyt Cam shooter to appreciate it, to pull it, to love the harshness of the cam but ergo the speed. My close friend bought the Switchback over the Trykon because he's a Mathews shooter and couldn't handle the rollover of the Trykon....it's not for everyone....my friend in the shop tonight chose the Trykon over the others as well which suprised me because he was a Mathews shooter then AR..and Bowtech impressed him as well but the Trykon's sheer power won him over as well...

There it is, take it as you need to but it's as close to heads up as we could make it and as opened minded as I could be. Bear in mind again, this is just me and if you want a new bow and are considering any of the above mentioned bows....do yourself a favor, shoot them and decide for yourself. We are all individuals, we all vary and our needs are different. All 3 bow companies will make money because of that fact.

Total New Setup

Hoyt Trykon 70 lbs, 29" draw
Trophy Takers new Pronghorn rest/black
Viper Predator Microtune sight/black
Fuse Axium 10" stablizer/brown
Fuse Katana 4 arrow quick detach quiver
Knotless loop
Super Peep
Brown wrist sling

Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased.

Congrats on the new bow Rob. All that matters is that you are very happy with your bow. Who cares what brand it is, nobody else is shooting it so they shouldn'tconcern themselves withwhat bow you got.

The Trykon has been a big seller around here this year, I would say that it and the Tribute are by far the biggest sellers around here this year. The Switchback XT isn't getting much attention here because most everyone who owns a Switchback is pleased with it and see's no need is replacing it.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep i knew it, i knew when i read the first sentence you would pick the hoyt.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit I cheated & scrolled to the bottom th see whatcha got. Now I'll go read it and see how you got there!!

Congrats on your new bow!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's funny DaveC...I actually thought of making this a guessing poll thread and letting the cat out of the bad later just to squash that cheating so ya'll read the whole darn thread.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading it I saw the dang near same results with the speed you achieved. Even though the Trykon advertises an ibo's at a lower amount than the others it clearly WINS the speed contest when shooting the bows back to back with the same arrow & draw length.

I wonder why that is? The allegiance SHOULD come out on top speedwise if you just look at what's on paper.

BTW, forgive me of I missed it, but were the bowtechs using the smooth or speed mod?

Congrats in your choice, I want all 4 myself too.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

C'mon, Rob. That would have been an easy guess. Sounds like a sweet bow. Can you post pics. I bet it looks as good as it shoots with the Fuse accy's and the Viper sight.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Congratulations…I’m sure it feels good to finally have a decision made and a new bow to tune and shoot.

Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

AAHHH the smell of a new bow!!! Enjoy your new toy. I find it interesting that Hoyt seems to always be closer to reality in terms of claimed speeds but really they are all on the same page regardless. Interesting review. Congratulations.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been waiting on this post...

Yep, I'm one of those that you nailed by saying "I knew it... It figures" If you had of put a poll up requesting a guess, I'd have guessed Hoyt... just know you too well -- even though you said you were looking to change...

Seriously, congratulations on the new purchase, and I hope it brings you as much enjoyment as my new Allegiance and Tribute do me! [8D]

Quick Reply: Okay, Shot the Big 3, Decided/Purchased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.