Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY... >

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Old 11-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

I've posted this every year for the last four years on this fine website, hoping that maybe I'll help even just one hunter prevent serious injury or death. This will be year number five for this same message...here goes:

Four the last 4 years I've written threads on this board about using rope and ascenders for fixed positions treestands; I've outlined in detail how it works, how to set it up, where to get the ascender and the rope, etc.

BobCo19-65 is the only other climber on this board that I've heard of that tried it. As I recall he was one of the board members that was very curious about the ascender threads that I wrote. Good for you, Bob. Spread the word, my friend. You may save a life...or more than one.

Here the facts:

Using an ascender properly can eliminate 99.9999 percent of the chance of falling from your treestand and being seriously injured. Yes, you can still fall, but the ascender stops your fall no matter where you are in the climb, whether your 3 feet off the ground, half way to the stand platform, climbing into or out of the stand platform, (which is where most fall occur), etc.

Like BobCo10-65, you will wonder how anyone would ever climber without a full body harness and the simple system of using an ascender, a "caribiner" to attach it to your harness, and a piece of rope to virtually eliminate the risk of serious injury from fixed position treestand hunting.

I use it on all of my fixed position stands ALL the time.

Guys, pay attention to what BobCo19-65 posted after using the ascender system that I've been writing about the past years:

[blockquote]quote:

With it, I am protected; all the way up the tree, getting into a portable, hunting from the portable, getting out and climbing down". For the extra $60 (you can get them much, much cheaper), and the rope, it is well worth it.
[/blockquote]

...Then ask yourself this question: What's it worth to virtually eliminate the risk of dying or spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair?

An ascender is a piece of gear that mountain climber use to prevent falling to their deaths. It works great, perhaps even better for fixed position treestand hunting.

Here's what it looks like; this one is shown with the caribiner attached. It costs only $35, fits in the palm of your hand, and operates silently. It bites the rope if you fall and stops your fall...but it will easily slide upward and only upwards as you climb. When you go to climb down it has a release that allows you to simply slide it down the rope with you as you climb down...but no matter what, if you happen to fall, it engages, bites the rope and stops your fall. IT IS EXTREMELY EASY TO USE!

Here's link where you can actually buy one.

http://www.mountaingear.com

Do a simple search for "Ropeman Mark II Ascender"

And no folks, I have no interest in the website, nor do I sell the stuff in any way shape or form. It is just that the idea for hunters is so remarkably effective that I cannot help but want to share it.

If anyone needs help, shoot me an email.

I would respectfully request that the mods make this a sticky for a few months.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

If you can not afford the gear shown, you can make one yourself. With a 30' peice of heavy duty polyester rope, and a 3' peice of nylon rope, about 1/4 inch in size. You can refer to a knot tying book for the right knots to tie. I used a mountain climber's guide to knots.
1] tie a loop in one end of your 30' section
2] refer to the book for a fisherman's knot.
3] make a lrge loop from your 3' section using the fisherman's knot.
4] refer to the book for a prusic hitch (book will probably a double loop prusic, more effective if looped three times)
5] end result should be a knot that easilt slides up and down main rope, but tightens up if a fall occurs.

This system can be used to climb a tree the first time and letf with the stand for future hunts.

P.S. tie the bottom of the 30' section to the bottom of the tree.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

mitchell, remember that the ascenders that have been shown are more top end. Rock climbers are very concerned about weight desings to fit your hand correctly. You can get an metal (much more heavy) ascender from a construction equipment supplier for a whole lot cheaper. More in the $20 range.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 AM

Watch what you eat. Excercise. Do not overindulge in alcohol. Do not take massive ammounts of over the counter drugs. Wear your seat belt in your car. Be careful cleaning your firearms. Be careful when you skin or clean an animal. Do not lead a stressful life. Eat more raw foods, less processed foods. Did I mention excercise ?

vc1111 I would guess a large part of those who "fall" from tree stands do not fall from the stand itsself, rather as they are climbing up or down the tree. I bought a very good safety vest last fall and have not used it one time. Just like a man who is out of shape can only say " well, I just haven't set my mind to it " so it is with me and my safety vest.

Something to think about, isn't it ?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I read this right, you basically have a rope tied at the top and bottom of the tree, just above the stand and near the ground? Then attach either the prussic knot or the ascender to this rope while you are climbing?

Makes sense, especially since my oldest son will be up in trees next year!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I read this right, you basically have a rope tied at the top and bottom of the tree, just above the stand and near the ground? Then attach either the prussic knot or the ascender to this rope while you are climbing?

Makes sense, especially since my oldest son will be up in trees next year!
Yup, you got it. Just make sure the rope is correct size for the ascender (usually 3/8-1/2"). The ascender will work on the way up/down and while you get stepping into your stand. Make sure you use a waist belt around the tree and connected to your harness for installing the stand and rope.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Mind, we all make choices. You are free to hunt however you wish.

I would add on this thread as I did on the other, that you might give some thought to those that love and care about you.

If you are seriously injured or killed, others will most certainly suffer also.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Mind

Watch what you eat. Excercise. Do not overindulge in alcohol. Do not take massive ammounts of over the counter drugs. Wear your seat belt in your car. Be careful cleaning your firearms. Be careful when you skin or clean an animal. Do not lead a stressful life. Eat more raw foods, less processed foods. Did I mention excercise ?

vc1111 I would guess a large part of those who "fall" from tree stands do not fall from the stand itsself, rather as they are climbing up or down the tree. I bought a very good safety vest last fall and have not used it one time. Just like a man who is out of shape can only say " well, I just haven't set my mind to it " so it is with me and my safety vest.

Something to think about, isn't it ?
Mr. Olympia will hit the ground just as hard and you, me or any other human being on the planet if a step/stand breaks or lets loose for whatever reason. Exercise won't mean s**t when you're falling. We're all using equipment made by human beings, which means it can break or fail just like cars or computers. I wear a seat belt in my car mostly because I don't trust the other guy. I wear a harness in a tree for the same reason. I trust my equipment, and I lift weights all year round, and I'm in good shape, but I won't let arrogance ruin my life.

Now someone tell me what kind of rope I need to buy to build me a few of these things.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Statistics show that 1 out of 3 treestand users will have a fall. Some percentage of these result in serious permanent injury or death. You are right, we all make choices on where we draw the line on "over carefull" things. Personally, this isn't one of them. I have fallen once, a step broke about 10 feet up while I was climbing down, I always thought I would be able to just grab on if it happened, I had one arm around the tree, one tightly on a step, one foot on a step and was reaching down to the next step. The one holding my weight broke, I was on the ground before I knew what happened. Luckily it was a soft feet first landing and I just lost some skin/blood from my arm and hand.

This is something I will have for next year in the trees.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/p...evel2_id/0/N/0

Bob in NH, here's a link for the rope. You can buy it by the foot instead of the spool.

It runs about 63 cents a foot. It holds up to the weather and the elements extremely well. It should last for years.

Quick Reply: Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.