Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting related problems >

hunting related problems

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting related problems

Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Default hunting related problems

Been seeing alot of post where hunters have encounters with idiots in the woods. Here is mine..........if anyone cares.

I am a very good shot, been around guns all my life. I bought a 7mm rifel 5 years ago, bought one box of shells. I believe it had 20 rnds in the box. Today, five years later, I sill have the same box of shells. This is after 5 dead bucks and shooting before the season starts to see if my scope is still sighted in. Bottom line, I don't miss and I don't waste shots. Next thing about me is I don't shoot out past 100 yards, and I don't shoot that far anyway. I don't like to shoot that far. Obviously I have the fire power to reach out there but I keep my distances comfortable to me. Also, I have an ethics about hunting, first is the one above. Second, I don't shoot doe EVER. I just don't, know reason, I just don't. I WON"T shoot a doe with a fawn nor with I EVER shoot the fawn. I've killed 5 bucks in 5 years. I know thats not alot but I have never had to track one down. I dropped each one in its tracks. I know where to shoot the deer. I don't understand it when I hear that people shoot deer and then have to track it, if they hit it in the correct spot it will go down, the deer isn't a super deer. I also have respect for other hunters, and I expect the same but don't get it, now here is my story.

My in laws are very nice, God fearing christians. Very nice ppl. There is a hot spot on their land, unofficially, I'd say its one of the best hottest spots in the county area. Its a swamp land. VERY BIG deer. They are so nice people that one neighbor asked to hunt and they obviously said yes. Not a problem. My problem is this. For starters, a few times when I have been hunting all morning, about 9 am he comes walking up, kicking rocks, not at all trying to be quiet. Walks right over to me and starts talking out loud like I am not even hunting. Second, he done this with a buddie of his, who I might add doesn't even have permission to hunt out there. Both walk up kicking rocks and talking. I never said a word, just gave them a dirty look, and left. Third, they hunt with shotguns loaded with slugs, this things aren't very accurate. MAYBE out to 100 yards. This two "snipers" try to shoot at deer, at about 350 yards. This is a fact because I've heard them talk about it. Not only is this stupid but screws up the hunt for anyone else out there. AND they are stupid for attempting that with a sling shot gun like that. If anyone should try shooting that far it should be me with the cannon I have but like I said I don't do that.

Fourth, I have seen several small deer, some doe, limping from these idiots shooting at them and not hitting them in a kill zone. Five, one morning I arrived, they came up on a 4 wheeler, which is a no no because of all the crop. The guy that doesn't even have permission tells me that I can't go hunting because he is going to go set in the middle of the field. LOL, I cant' go hunting on my grandaddy in laws land and your going to plus ride the 4 wheeler across the crops. OK buddie, I say "good luck" and I leave. sure I felt like pistol whipping his ass but they can't hit the ground if they fell off the 4 wheeler, so I wasn't worried. Six, not only that but when they do shoot, they shoot not once, not twice, nope not three, lol not even four, try five. Oh and shooting at the same time, so overall prolly about 8-10 times if I had to guess. I know this happend more than once. And finally, this guy tells me that I better leave his salt blocks alone becase he put some out, ILLEGAL and NOT HIS LAND!!!! I mean come on where does it end. If my inlaws knew about that they would freak. Apprently some of the family had seen some and stomped then into the ground.

This year, the guy moved to a different town but still come out, I am betting. But I have had enough. I'd fight in shooting fighting tournies in Memphis TN on Bell street, I can really hurt these two idiots if I wanted. Well this year and any of this **** happens, I will be leaving in a police car because I am not havin git. I never did or said anything because I didn't want any bad blood in the family but I am to the point now that I don't care. I have told my inlaws the story and they didn't say anything, I am guessing they don't want any trouble so they will just let him do what ever. I am putting my footdown this time. I love animals that God put here and I hate ppl that abuse them. Not to mention, I give respect but don't get any from these idiots. I haven't seen them so far this year but their too stupid to shoot a bow so I can't say the coast is clear.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Default RE: hunting related problems

I would've put my foot down earlier. If someone was talking to me like that when I had permission to hunt there but they didn't then I would've said something. If you do something about it, though, just make sure that they don't have there shotguns loaded at that time otherwise you might take the place of the deer. You never know......
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have you told the property owner and/or reported them to the police and game warden?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

And you aren't just telling your In-Laws to revoke their permission why?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense man, and I really mean no offense, but you need to first calm down. Seriously, I understand your pissed and I totally don't blame you because of all that happened.

Here's the thing, I understand the guys are idiots. No problem with that. If you're inlaws aren't doing anything about it you gotta get a hold of the game warden. Start with the DNR. Don't start a fight right away, start with the DNR, if that doesn't work then i'd say you have the right to kick some ass.

I don't blame you for getting so riled up, because the way I am, I know I would too, and I sympathize with you, but try to do it right first. If the DNR doesn't work and you're inlaws won't do anything about it, just be careful about the way you go about it. I don't want to read anything in the news about something like what happened in MN last year, so try not to get violent, and if it comes to that, just be smart about it.

I'm sure your family doesn't want to see you carried away in a cop car and spending a while in jail because you stooped to their level. Play it smart, outsmart them, and make them look like idiots. That's the way to do it. Like I said try to work the DNR first.

Good luck, and I hope that everything works out for you. Like I said try to play the right angles man. Hope everything turns out well.

bowtech
Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 AM

what is the DNR?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 PM

department of natural resources.

call the game commision about the salt blocks, and they are tresspassing if they don't have permission.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:09 PM

but wouldn't the owers have to press charges. They are my inlaws but Ijust hunt there.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: madboarman

but wouldn't the owers have to press charges. They are my inlaws but Ijust hunt there.
No, the owners wouldn't. If baiting is illegal in your state then anyone can report them.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 PM

GOOD WORDS BOWTECH DIE HARDTHAT WOULD BE MY ADVISE TOO
ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

No offense man, and I really mean no offense, but you need to first calm down. Seriously, I understand your pissed and I totally don't blame you because of all that happened.

Here's the thing, I understand the guys are idiots. No problem with that. If you're inlaws aren't doing anything about it you gotta get a hold of the game warden. Start with the DNR. Don't start a fight right away, start with the DNR, if that doesn't work then i'd say you have the right to kick some ass.

I don't blame you for getting so riled up, because the way I am, I know I would too, and I sympathize with you, but try to do it right first. If the DNR doesn't work and you're inlaws won't do anything about it, just be careful about the way you go about it. I don't want to read anything in the news about something like what happened in MN last year, so try not to get violent, and if it comes to that, just be smart about it.

I'm sure your family doesn't want to see you carried away in a cop car and spending a while in jail because you stooped to their level. Play it smart, outsmart them, and make them look like idiots. That's the way to do it. Like I said try to work the DNR first.

Good luck, and I hope that everything works out for you. Like I said try to play the right angles man. Hope everything turns out well.

bowtech