Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS system ?'s

Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default STS system ?'s

I know this has probaly been asked before but I can't find it. Does STS system elementate the need for string silencers? Is the a thoud or popping sound when the string strikes it? And Does it effect the tune of your bow and is there a speed loss or gain when using it.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 PM

Default RE: STS system ?'s

i would also like to know those answers! thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since nobodies jumping in, I'll give my 2 cents.

Does STS system elementate the need for string silencers?

I would say that it would eliminate at least one. I plan on running a solitary string leech or cat whisker on top.

Is there a thoud or popping sound when the string strikes it?

I hear a slight thud myself.

And Does it effect the tune of your bow and is there a speed loss or gain when using it.

No speed gained or loss. The only way I could see it affecting the tune is if your set up was previously dialed in to account for any nock point travel that occured past the idle brace height of the bow.

idle brace height of the bow I'm sure there is a fancy archery term for what I'm trying to say, maybe this will help- (foreward movement of the string during the shot sequence which occurs beyond the measured brace height towards the riser)
Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

My experience with my version of it mirrors Dave's on all counts. I have not paper-tuned the bow either before or after installing the device so I cannot comment on how it may affect that aspect of the tuning process. However, I can attest that it has not affected my group size with field points. Since I do not shoot exposed blade broadheads I cannot comment on its effect of that either.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

Since nobodies jumping in, I'll give my 2 cents.

Does STS system elementate the need for string silencers?

I would say that it would eliminate at least one. I plan on running a solitary string leech or cat whisker on top.

Is there a thoud or popping sound when the string strikes it?

I hear a slight thud myself.

And Does it effect the tune of your bow and is there a speed loss or gain when using it.

No speed gained or loss. The only way I could see it affecting the tune is if your set up was previously dialed in to account for any nock point travel that occured past the idle brace height of the bow.

idle brace height of the bow I'm sure there is a fancy archery term for what I'm trying to say, maybe this will help- (foreward movement of the string during the shot sequence which occurs beyond the measured brace height towards the riser)
I've read several threads regarding the STS on a couple sites now and everyone seems to love it. But the majority have had similar responses as this one. My question is, what exactly does the STS do for you?

It makes a slight thud noise. Speed doesn't change one way or the other. Groups don't seem to change any. Etc...

I'm guessing the advantages are supposed to be a reduction in noise and string vibration. But if you say the STS can replace one string silencer, then why not just install the other string silencer that came in the pack when you bought them instead of buying the STS?

I guess I'm missing something.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:51 PM

There is no need for any string silencers. I removed both of my string leeches after installing the STS and did not pick up any sound, however I did gain 7 FPS. There is almost no hand shock or sound I get comments all the time about how quiet my bow is. Trust me it's a sound investment and you will be happy.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Am I the only one that has a louder bow because of the STS? My bow has a terrible thumping sound because of the STS. I'm not going to use it for hunting. Oh well, the verdict is still out on the accuracy. No gain in speed for me, I didn't have string silencers.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It reduced vibration substantially on my bow (Reflex Grizzly) and eliminated all arm slap which will be the biggest benefit when wearing heavy clothes in the fall, likely not as importtant to Southern hunters. Definitely reduced noise as well.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeepnut, I guess the best benefit for myself is knowing my string is stopping at the measured brace height location (idle bow) or at least very close to it. Instead of traveling forewards during the shot sequence.

If your shooting a bow under 7" brace height this improovement will help you get by with a larger sleeve and you shouldn't experience the wrist string slap if your form should ever fall short of "good". My Z-light (6.5" brace) will give a good form reminder every now and then. I'm hoping an STS will cure that from occuring.

The STS I've put on my Patriot hasn't improved it much. It is plenty smooth by itself.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:20 PM

Well I did some more testing tonight. My bow slowed down 4 FPS with the sts system installed. Hope to do some more testing Sunday.

Quick Reply: STS system ?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.