Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching keeps hitting rest >

Fletching keeps hitting rest

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching keeps hitting rest

Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Fletching keeps hitting rest

I am shooting a left hand Reflex Bighorn (two cam) using feather fletched arrows and a "flipper" style rest. My problem is that my fletching keeps hitting the the little flipper bar. I have had the shop that made the arrows change the nock location, but I am having the same problem. I have room to turn it a little more, but I am wondering if this is a deeper issue than the nock location. I moved my rest in because the arrow was riding against it so hard that my paint was coming off onto the rest. Moving it in helped the rubbing issue, but the fletching is still catching the flipper. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas because this is driving me nuts, and I don't want to have to keep replacing fletchings because of it.
Attached is a picture of the rest and the fletching.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching keeps hitting rest

I think we're going to need more info to make any accurate judgements. What poundage and drawlength. Length of arrow, which size aluminum, what grain point? Shooting fingers I presume, but specify, please.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 PM

I'm sorry, it's 66 lb draw, 28 1/2" draw, with 30" 2315 arrows, and 125 grain points with left-wing fletching. I am using a Wynn Archery release.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have the flipper rest on my old golden Eagle ..try using plastic vanes they have a "memory" to come back to there original form after making contact with a flipper rest, feathers IMO aren't going to hold up to a flipper rest.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

..because of the speed of your arrow and feathers passing over the flipper wire your feathers acutually whip around the wire momentarily causing your feathers to be all messed up.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 AM

That's what I was afraid of. I just had all of my arrows changed to feathers, and I personally like them a little more. Would a shoot through rest make a difference? I know that I'd have to change my nock position, but would there be any benefit to going that route (besides not tearing up my feathers - which is enough to by one IMO)? I can do the nocks at home, whereas I'd have to have the feathers taken off and changed out by the shop.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

feathers IMO aren't going to hold up to a flipper rest.
When the bow is properly set up and tuned, feathers hold up just fine on a flipper rest. I've been using flippers, off and on, for 30 years and have had no problems with them using feathers.

Check your cam timing and synchronization. Check your tiller. Once you've confirmed all of those are right, then raise your nock point. Excessive wear on the bottom feather is always caused by one of those four things.

If you're shooting fingers, you do NOT want to go to a shoot through rest. If you're using a release, it's something to consider.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing , make sure your arrow [fletch that is] is not hitting your sight .
Old 04-21-2005, 06:21 PM

Those are some good ideas. I have had the cam timing checked and it's good, but the nock is set level with the rest. Is it not supposed to be higher (approx. 1/8")? How would I go about checking my tiller? Are there any guides?
I have considered a shoot through, but I'd like to try to stay with the flipper if possible. I do need to check the sights and make sure that the fletching isn't hitting it.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Checking the tiller isn't tough at all. Just measure from the string to the belly side of the limb (the side you're looking at when you've got the bow drawn) at each end of the riser. Of course, you do that without drawing the bow, I was just making sure you knew which side of the limb I was referring to.

You want it to measure the same on each end of the riser for a starting point. Most people just leave it like that. I go a little further and fine tune the tiller by drawing the bow slowly, and watching the sight pins. If they try to pull down, take a half turn off the bottom limb bolt or add a half turn to the top one, or both. If they try to pull up, take it off the top or add to the bottom. You want the sights to stay steady on an aim point as you draw the bow. When you get 'em to do that, then they'll hold steadier as you aim and shoot.

That could change your nocking point location, so be sure to check it. With a flipper rest, you are correct. The nocking point does need to be set so that the bottom of the nock is a bit higher than the level of the rest. How much higher depends on how your bow tunes, but it shouldn't be any more than 1/8" with a compound when everything is set right.

Quick Reply: Fletching keeps hitting rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.