Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 SO MANY OPTIONS! DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! >

SO MANY OPTIONS! DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SO MANY OPTIONS! DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Default SO MANY OPTIONS! DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

I'M RELATIVELY NEW TO BOWHUNTING. GOT MY BOW LAST OCT. TOMKAT 70LBS, 27 INCH DL, TROPHY TAKER REST, TROPHY TAKER SIGHTS, GOLD TIP XT'S. RIGHT NOW IM SHOOTING MUZZY'S 100 GRAIN BUT THEY DONT SEEM TO GROUP VERY WELL LIKE MY FIELD POINTS. IVE GOTTEN SEVERAL TIPS FROM PEOPLE LIKE, #1 RIGHT NOW IM SHOOTING A 26INCH ARROW (WHICH IS A LITTLE SHORT) BUT IM GETTING PLENTY OF CLEARENCE, & SOMEONE SAID TO TRY A 27 OR 28 INCH ARROW TO SEE IF MY BROADHEADS GROUPED BETTER, #2 SOMEONE ELSE SAID TO TRY MAYBE A 125 GRAIN BROADHEAD WITH THE MUZZY'S AND #3 SOMEONE ELSE SAID TO TRY SOME EXPANDABLES, AND #4 SOMEONE ELSE SAID TO TRY FEATHER VANES ON MY ARROWS TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP. MAN, I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO EXPERIEMENT WITH ALL THAT. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD TRY A DIFFERENT LENGHT ARROW, OR DIFFERENT FLETCHINGS, OR A DIFFERENT BROADHEAD. WITH MY SETUP I STATED BEFORE MY 100GR FIELD POINTS FLY AND GROUP WONDERFUL, BUT MY 100 GR MUZZYS DO NOT GROUP WELL. THEY FLY WELL BUT THE ARROWS MISS IN ALL DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS SO I CANT GO BY THE TUNEING CHART BECAUSE THEY DONT EVEN GROUP TOGETHER IN A CERTAIN AREA. I'VE BEEN TO 2 DIFFERENT SHOPS AND NEITHER SEEMED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO AND REALLY DIDNT SEEM TO CARE. IM READY TO PULL MY HAIR OUT. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? BY THE WAY I PAPER TUNED IT AND IT WAS FINE.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:07 AM

Default RE: SO MANY OPTIONS! DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

hey im chris and i live in bham. im not really sure what to tell u. if your from anywhere close to bham go to marks outdoors. Guys over there can get u figured out. if you are close to bham and want to go email me at [email protected] and ill give u details on who to talk to and get u fixed up.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of arrows are you shooting ? , some of the cheaper carbon arrow play hell with accuracy , especialy with fixed broadheads .
Old 04-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Thanks arguy. ijim I'm shooting gold tip xt's.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Spike

you didn't say what size gold tip.they are 26" long but what is the shaft size. have you tuned and alined the heads to the shafts? expect the fixed heads to shoot low and to the right(right hand bow). a good mech. head (shockwave)should shoot the same(close). jim
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Some of what Jim243SRC is saying is, did you spin test the B/heads? If they dont spin without wobble they wont fly staight. mark your arrows and Try switching the B/heads to different arrows, see if there is a difference. borrow a different head from a buddy, see how it shoots. try lowering or raising your poundage, hope this helps. Hang in there Im sure you will get more and probably better advice on this forum. Good luck. GGBH
Old 04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just think about all the things your learning. Priceless!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

What type of fletch do the arrows have? 3", 4"? helical, straight, offset? And what spine are they? 5575? 7595?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:05 PM

I could not get my Muzzy's to group well with straight vanes. After a few months of trying to figure my problem out I tried shooting with helicals. They make a world of difference.