HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Nock low? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/97238-nock-low.html)

WA Shooter 04-13-2005 02:57 PM

Nock low?

My new Defender has a 29" draw, and with the string loop, is just slightly too long for me. I decided last night to take the string loop off and shoot it directly off the string, which is just right.
I installed a brass nock set at slightly above level and there is already a couple of cushions on the string so I slid one up to keep the release from getting into the arrow nock.
It was tearing about an inch nock low, and after adjusting it about 4 times and still not shooting good holes I gave up. The arrow was obviously well above where it should have been.
I ended up putting a string loop back on, only tying the smallest loop I could manage, which is a bitch. It is back to shooting bullet holes, and the draw is OK but not perfect.
Any ideas as to why it was doing this? My only guess is the short ATA of the bow.

BGfisher 04-13-2005 06:05 PM

RE: Nock low?

Different setup just sometimes doesn't want to tune. This is especially true of short ATA-long drawlength bows. That's where the string loop can help.

What release are you shooting? Maybe you can shorten it up so you don't stretch out so far. Or maybe a new release that has a shorter head. This is much more better than being too long.

pdq 5oh 04-13-2005 08:02 PM

Get some #5 cams (28.5"). Then you can use a loop, like you like.

TFOX 04-13-2005 09:23 PM

Taking the loop off could have made your setup require a stiffer spine.Try it again but this time lower the poundage and see if the tear gets better.If it does then you will know it is spine.

Or do like pdq said.Get the right cams for you and your setup wants.It really isn't a good idea to shoot too long of a draw.

TFOX 04-13-2005 09:27 PM

Another possibility is facial torque.Without the loop,the string may be pressing against your face too hard,causing torque.

IMO this is way overlooked to paper tears.Just try holding the string off your face and see if the tears improve.If it does improve then you either live with it and shoot,or adjust your anchor OR get the right cams for a loop.;)

jim243SRC 04-14-2005 07:01 AM

WA what rest are you using? jim

Arthur P 04-14-2005 08:03 AM

If it looked like you'd have to go below square to get the nockset right, then I'd think your bow's tiller needs some adjustment.

WA Shooter 04-14-2005 11:52 AM

I am shooting GT 7595 arrows with 100 grain tips off of a TR Drop Zone. I doubt the spine is too weak. I am also shooting the Scott Little Bitty Goose release.
I had the chance to shoot it for quite a while at one of the local shops last night and the draw length seems fine, I want to stick with the 29" to maintain the bow speed. I was quite disappointed with the chrono results, 26.75" arrow at 393 grains and 73# only shot 274, 275, 276.

jim243SRC 04-15-2005 06:30 AM

WA how are you driving the drop zone? the pull cord to the down cable? jim

WA Shooter 04-16-2005 03:08 AM

Jim,
Yes, the cord is attatched to the down cable onthe bow. I bought the bow with the rest on it, it wouldn't have been my first choice.