Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What do you shot feathers or vanes and why? >

What do you shot feathers or vanes and why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you shot feathers or vanes and why?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 PM

Default RE: What do you shot feathers or vanes and why?

It's simple for me, Vanes. Why? 39 inches of rain anually! But there is no denying the benefits of feathers.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:43 AM

I have shot both, for me this year it will be blazer vanes. I hope they work as well as everyone says.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blazers, tough and quiet. Oh yeah and they're WATERPROOF!!

I'm not above trying feathers again though. If I was to shoot strict feathers I'd still keep a few like flying vaned arrows in my quiver for rainy days.

With that being said I just ordered a dozen FOB's for grins http://www.starrflight.com/. Never know till you try!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:07 PM

just a couple of questions on top of what haas already been asked. I shoot duravane 3-D's, how much weight difference would there be between the 3-D's and 4 inch feathers? How much does a box of 100 feathers cost and is that the best way to buy them?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 PM

feathers!!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Peebles, three 4" feathers will weigh about 10 grains. Vanes of the same size weigh 2 1/2 to 3 times that. The extra weight on the tail end of the arrow can be good or bad. The good is that it stiffens the dynamic spine of the arrow. The bad is that it upsets the FOC.

The cheapest way to get feathers is by the 100/pack. Keep your eyes open if you happen to at flea markets or other places. The last 100 I bought was $2.00 for 4" black, right wing. Nobody wants black, and I don't care if I see my arrows go or not. I don't have to. They are right where my sight was aiming when the bow went off.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot both...I have my backyard practice arrows setup with feathers because they can be easily "restored" and don't get tore up.

My hunting arrows are setup with AAE vanes. I used feathers a little bit last yr after I killed my buck and it's mainly just a personal choice.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM

Both, I live and hunt where it rains a lot too, but I believe I will always hunt with feathers. I have quit giving ultamatums in archery, as I change equipment about as much as I change underwear ( a lot!, really). I shoot 4" feathers with nice big 125 grain Magnus Stingers, and they fly beautifully. I shoot feathers for indoors, as they really stabilize an arrow well, and, although some will argue, they take a beating and keep flying well. I have just set up some 3D arrows with Flex Fletch 175's (1.75") and I will be testing them this weekend. Just want to see how they will handle, and I wanted smaller profile for some longer outdoor games, maybe a field event or two. I like both for many different reasons.

Feathers do look better too!!!

JMAC
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shot vanes for the longest time and then switched to feathers. I liked the way they shot, but I'm too rough on them and tore them up too bad. Now I'm shooting Blazers and won't switch any time soon.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 AM

I generally shoot vanes for 3-d or off-season practice. This is just for convenience and price. My hunting arrows always have feathers with a helical alignment. This is what gives me the best broadhead flight. I always keep an arrow with vanes in my quiver in the event of a downpour.

Quick Reply: What do you shot feathers or vanes and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.