Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Another novice fletching ? >

Another novice fletching ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another novice fletching ?

Old 03-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another novice fletching ?

How the heck do you get the old vanes off? I'm using 4" plastic and afraid to damage the carbon by scraping?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another novice fletching ?

You can buy an arrow fletching stripper. They have them on ebay for around $10.00 I think the one on ebay is the pro arrow vane and glue stripper. There is another brand out but I can't think of it. I just use a knife to strip mine off and I have yet to trash one you just need to be careful and not put to much pressure on the shaft. After doiing it a few time you'll have learned the feel for it and just strip them babies off in no time.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Just started fletching my own tonight and have the same problem. I am using a carpenters knive with a fresh blade to scrape off the fletching but it seems to nick the carbon shaft. I am practicing on old arrows that are dammaged so I am out nothing. Does a potato peeler work??
Old 03-19-2005, 09:21 PM

Greetings.

Although I have only been fletching and refletching my carbon arrows for a few years, I have found a few techniques that may help you.

It is very difficult to remove the glue residue from a cyanoacrylate (super glue) affixed vane. I personally like using Flex Fletch which is relatively easy to remove.

I use a cheap, curved blade pocket knife to strip the vane and most of the glue from the shaft. The knife is only moderately sharp and I use gentle pressure. I scrape the residue rather than try to slice it off.

To remove the remaining glue, I vigorously rub the arrow shaft with a plastic Scotch-Brite pad that has been dampened. This usually scours away the rest of the glue.

A final wipe with denatured alcohol and I am ready to refletch. Good luck and have fun building your arrows.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Sharp, smooth blade pocket knife is fine to scrape arrows with. Just make sure you whipe the shaft off really good with acetone or something like that. Dont use store bought alcohol, it has petroleum in it which messes with the contact between feather and shaft when the glue tries to dry.