Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switchback Set Up >

Switchback Set Up

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switchback Set Up

Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Switchback Set Up

It always shoots fine.
That is a relative statement.

If someone doesn't shoot a bow with the limb bolts bottomed out, returning to that "4 turns" can be an estimate unless you VERY CAREFULLY mark the limb bolts as to their position orientation.

Believe it or not, 1/16 of a turn on a limb bolt can make a difference in tuning, especially with the shorter, parallel-limbed types of bows.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm still a little confused on the lack of clarity on backing off limb bolts or not when pressing.
On the subject of draw length...I dont dispute that 28 is probably right..I'm concerned with taking the bow out of spec to gain .25 in draw length.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

It's easy to get a little more length, you can use a little longer string loop, you can overrotate the cam a little and it won't affect performance. What you don't want is to be too long.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 AM

Thanks Buckfevr. I understand that a little longer loop will help get my hand anchor point further back/lengthened. But..I also like to use the tip of my nose as another reference point. I think the only way to move that point rearward to get contact is to lengthen bow draw or bend my arm a bit more. I think I'm OK there...maybe a touch short but since I'm exclusively a hunter I think this is preferable. I do want to understand your comment on overrotating the cam without affecting performance. Would that be accomplished by letting twists out of the cable?? Doesn't that also lengthen the ATA.?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 PM

I like to tinker with my bows and they spend a lot of time in a press and I never ever back out the bolts . They just just afraid of some one screwing up a rizer with a center pull press with all that tension on it No one should use a center pull press on any thing
Old 03-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would bring everything to specs first and then if you need a little more length just twist up the cable a little. It won't change ATA hardly at all. I'm assuming though that you're fairly close(within 1/4") and just want to fine tune.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks buckfevr!
So I understand...Add twist to the cable? That will shorten my ATA won't it? Won't that affect anything else - cam timing?
Won't it decrease draw weight? Then..when I turn my draw weight back up won't it shorten the draw back close to the starting point?
Please bear with me..I'm still learning cause and effect in a compound bow.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:17 PM

if you findout from mathews about the 4 truns let me know i have one on the way should be in this week
Old 03-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

bruno1 do not take or put twists in your cable or string this is how you tune a single cam bow.what ever the measurment gives you on the bow for cable length and string length this is what it needs to be.just to prove to you have them take your string off and measure it then shoot it for a while maybe 100 times and I will guaratee you the string will have a little stretch which will increase your draw which bumps your pondage up.have them get you the right came for god sakes its a new bow!! as far as the cable this one is easy check your poundage then put about 5 twists in your cable to shorten it then check your poundage again.I'll gaurantee you you will jump up in poundage.the only time the cable and string should be twisted is if it stretchs do to shooting.and if this guy won't do any thing for you I would call mathews and let them know about it and I'm sure they will take care of you.hope this helps ya and good luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 AM

Thanks brad patriot!
I have continued to work with the guy and I've pushed him to put the bow to spec. He has and he has me shooting better than ever.