Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 CarbonTech..the carbon arrow to beat? >

CarbonTech..the carbon arrow to beat?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

CarbonTech..the carbon arrow to beat?

Old 03-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CarbonTech..the carbon arrow to beat?

Baker,

Sorry to give ya a case of the doubts. GoldTip makes a very durable, good arrow. However, IME they are the worst offender on the market in the most important (IMO) criteria....spine. Doesn't mean they wont shoot accurately. They will, especially if you are fairly overspined, and turn nocks as needed to pull arrows into a group. But I often have some flyers in even their best shafting I cannot tame.

ORIGINAL: ewolf
JeffB, I don't really know you but I hate you. Giving away all of my secrets.
No worries..most people who DO know me hate me too

I shoot cheetehs for targets and love them.......I can say this much as well, them suckers are tough. They will take a beating.
Good to hear. I'll be setting up some Cheetahs w/ Blazers for my new bow when it comes in.

I would urge everyone to check 'em out based on what I have seen. Pricing is a steal considering the high quality... e.g. at Mountain Archery, GoldTip Pro Hunters (black) go for $80 a dozen (shafts). Carbon Express 3D Selects go for $85.

CarbonTech WhiteTail XP black shafts go for $84.

Coug,

The HIT system is (pardon the pun) HIT or miss, IME. I absolutely hate not being able to adjust an insert to compensate for a broadhead ferrule. On the ST AXIS I set up for my Outback last fall, the majority of the dozen would not allow any broadhead I owned to spin true. And of course there's not much ya can do about it then, unfortunately. Yet, the first dozen I bought were nearly perfect. Shaft wall thickness tolerance QC dropped a bit as the extreme demand came about for them I guess (?)

I did notice the shop has some of the new camo Beman HIT arrows in stock, next time I get up there, I'll see if the new better straightness tolerance is showing up for real. I'm sure they will spine good.

Jeff,
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Hope all is well w/ you too
Old 03-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Jeff B, I have to agree with you on the GT spine, I've checked 5-6 dz all pro models and came up with the same measurements. GT shafts are straight and the weight is also good. I have also checked out the 1 dz. Beman Max 4 .300, 1dz. MAX 4 .340 and Black Max .340. The spine was really good and consistant,all within .005-.008 in both the 340 models, the .300 the worst was.011. Very consistant SAS both spine sizes, weight was within 1 grn, and the straightness was alittle out of advirtised spec. worst was .004. I was really impressed with these arrows specs, I tried the ST Axis last year and didn't care for them. Don't know what Beman did different, or it could be my Old Glory,but I like the combo. Will be looking forward to your findings on the Beman shafts. sjb3
Old 03-13-2005, 04:20 PM

Hey Jeff,
Have you had the chance to check out any of the Carbon Force Radial X-weave arrows from PSE? Maybe a little light for hunting in the minds of some, but I've been shooting the X-weave Pro's for target & 3-D for about 6 months now. Very impressed with their flight & durability.

It seems that the radial weave layering of the carbon fibers should take care of some of the spine inconsistencies. I haven't measured any of their specs though, and was curious to know if you have done so.

But even if they measure up the same as these carbon techs I'm not sure they'd be worth the extra $$. Fortunately I had connections & got mine a little cheaper.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjb3
...... I have also checked out the 1 dz. Beman Max 4 .300, 1dz. MAX 4 .340 and Black Max .340. The spine was really good and consistant,all within .005-.008 in both the 340 models, the .300 the worst was.011. Very consistant SAS both spine sizes, weight was within 1 grn, and the straightness was alittle out of advirtised spec. worst was .004. I was really impressed with these arrows specs
Hmmm...while the spine consistency does not surprise me at all (though generally I find them to vary a bit more like the 300s you tested), the straightness does....

I tried the ST Axis last year and didn't care for them. Don't know what Beman did different.......
My first dozen AXIS (bought in Dec 2003) were excellent. I bought 3 dozen later in 2004 to cull for a good dozen that were absolutely horrid for straightness. QC definitely seemed to slip. Perhaps Easton was just able to gear up better for the demand, or after a year of producing them has learned a few tricks in order to improve.

Thanx for the FYI, I def wanna check a few out now just to see. I'm still not a huge fan of the C2 construction as the arrows can take a "set" (i.e. bend) , but there's no doubt they are excellent shooting arrows if you can get some straight ones (and keep 'em that way)
Old 03-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeepnut

Hey Jeff,
Have you had the chance to check out any of the Carbon Force Radial X-weave arrows from PSE? Maybe a little light for hunting in the minds of some, but I've been shooting the X-weave Pro's for target & 3-D for about 6 months now. Very impressed with their flight & durability.

It seems that the radial weave layering of the carbon fibers should take care of some of the spine inconsistencies. I haven't measured any of their specs though, and was curious to know if you have done so.

But even if they measure up the same as these carbon techs I'm not sure they'd be worth the extra $$. Fortunately I had connections & got mine a little cheaper.
Jeep,

I have not tested the new radial X weave shafts. The "original" carbon forces are a (pardon the pun) carbon copy of the Carbon Express shafts ( I have the story, but it is long and drawn out and tangential to this thread, ), and the tolerances were virtually the same in the general sense. Decent spine, decent SAS, good weights, straightness hit or miss.

My dealer has about completely dropped PSE products barring entry level bows, so I doubt I will be testing any of the X weaves soon unless I want to order some..which I don't

Glad they are working well for you though!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jeffey...
Old 03-19-2005, 01:26 PM

I was also looking at switching to Beman black max but now you have me wondering. I mostly hunt deer in WI 10-35yard shots from treestands, but will be going to CO next year for elk (10-55yard shots) and do not want to switch arrows or bow setup from deer to elk. I will also be hunting for black bear with the bow this year.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my buddys just picked up the fat shafts today. I am going to check them out in a couple days and see how they fly
Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 PM

Does anyone know of any mail order companies that carry the Safari shaft from Carbon Tech? Believe it or not I want the extra weight and one of my bows needs that much spin but dang it, they are expensive as all get up from the company.. Just wondering.... I think the Rhino's would work fine too but. I want that extra 3 gpi..
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM

Has anyone checked out the carbon express maxima

Quick Reply: CarbonTech..the carbon arrow to beat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.