HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Need help paper tuning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/93156-need-help-paper-tuning.html)

elkaddict 03-07-2005 11:49 PM

Need help paper tuning

Over the weekend, I shot some broadheads out of my 03 Patriot for the first time. It seemed that the broadheads were impacting 3"to 4" high at 25yds when compared to my field tips and perhaps plaining slightly. Having a free evening, I tried to paper tune the bow. I'm shooting from about 7'. Started out with low right tears. With adjustments, I've got the vertical adjustment worked out. However, no matter which way I adjust, I cant seem to get rid of the right tear. I'm stumped, but I'm also new to paper tuning. I'm shooting 27.5" gt 7595 at 74lbs. I am shooting a release. For comparison, I shot some 5575s I had laying around and they are fine right to left, but tear downwards (per Eastman, a typical sign of a weak spine). Tonight I've read both Eastman's guide and a chapter from an older book on bow tuning. The book suggests that while unusal, sometimes a right tear evidences too stiff a spine. Could this be my problem? I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how when shooting a release a modestly stiff arrow would tear to the right unless it is caused by hand torque. What am I missing? I do shoot w/ an open hand. I've read repeatedly that for a 70-75 bows such as my Patriots, that, 5575s were probably not stiff enough. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

gibblet 03-08-2005 04:59 AM

RE: Need help paper tuning

are you getting any fletching contact? or contact with the rope of a drop away? might be time to get the baby powder out and see. have you tried moving your rest right and left? what kind of rest? sounds like contact. i don't think you are too stiff for that setup if you are shooting at or over 28.5" draw length, maybe even 28 at 74lbs.

elkaddict 03-08-2005 08:41 AM

I'm shooting a Trophy Taker fall away rest so I doubt there is any fletching contact. I tried moving the rest right and left and could see no change. That's why I'm stumped. I'm shooting 29" draw--hence I believe the spine is about right.

BGfisher 03-08-2005 12:25 PM

For comparison you might try shooting the 5575's and backing the weight off some to see if that helps any. Might not be just what you want, but may give you an indication as to what's up. Also, try heavier point in the 7595's to see if that helps.

djkiller 03-08-2005 03:39 PM

I helped a buddy paper tune his bow and came up w/ the same problem. and after starting from zero twice and laser tuning it. I shot it my self. It was fine. Come to find out when I watched him shoot . He had a tight grip on the bow and was torqing it. it only takes a little extra grip to throw the bow off. I'd make sure if ya have a sling you got a loose grip of the bow. My self I dont grip it at all. and let it fall forward adter the shot. just some isight. dont know if this is a problem for ya.
good luck.

mobow 03-08-2005 05:20 PM

Try a different weight tip. I think, but can't be sure, a heavier tip maybe. Also, it is not uncommon that your broadheads don't hit the same spot as your field points, but if they group well, that is what you are after. Just move your sights.
Yes, it is typical of an overspined arrow, but sometimes changing tip weight makes the difference. If you are shooting a release, you want your tear to be just a little high up close.

elkaddict 03-08-2005 06:38 PM

I tried 125g field tips tonight--no real change in the right tear. Any other suggestions?

djkiller 03-08-2005 07:56 PM

I highly doubt. its your tips. another thing that will happen is if you crank your bow past its intended weight. take my browning mirage 1.5. if I cranked it all the down to its highest poundage. and checked the weight. I got actually 75lbs. out of my rated 70# bow. and now matter what I did to try to get it paper tuned . it just wouldnt work. so I took it in and had it laser tuned. same thing. pro actuall turned bow down to 70# and all was good. personally if your having that much trouble paper tuning it in. I'd let a pro look at it. some times it just takes another set of eyes to figure somethings out.

BGfisher 03-08-2005 09:08 PM

This happened to me once , and I overlooked it before. Check cam-lean.