Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning?? >

Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Old 03-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

When you download eastons guide , it will say bareshaft tuneing for , recurve shooters useing a finger release or , compound shooters useing a finger release . If niether one of those apply to you then dont use that method . If you are a compound shooter useing a mecanical release , go to a diferant tuneing method . That is what the majority of archers use nowadays . I hunt , so broadhead tuneing is the most important/usefull to me.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:16 PM

In the past, I use to bare shaft test to check spine. Now, I never bare shaft test. I shoot a slightly too-stiff spine, so the testing is not helpful. After I discovered the huge spine range on a dozen typical carbons, I decided it was better to shoot them all on the stiff side, rather than some stiff and some weak. My broadhead grouping on a dozen arrows has improved since I've done this (compound with release). Final tuning should take place on the range with complete arrows.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:29 PM

LOTS OF GREAT ADVISE!!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bare shaft tuning is number one on my list. I've gotten much better fixed blade broadhead flight after bare shaft tuning my setups.
Pay no attention to fingers/recurve whatever. I shoot a mechanical release and I've been bare shaft tuning for years with excellent results.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Bowfanatic- can you describe your way of bare shaft tuning? Ive heard many ways from many people and I would like to hear your story.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start out at 15 yards and get my nock position perfect first. Then I'll move right to 20-25 yards and work on verticle impact. I know from experience which arrows (spine) will work best with each setup , but for you the verticle adjustments will be a good indicator for if your using the proper spine or not. Once I've determined the spine is good , which by the way if it's not you'll notice imediately because your arrows can impact as much as a foot to the left or right , then I'll just fine tune by moving my rest (we're talking micro adjustments) until the bare shafts are impacting exactly the same as fletched shafts.
I cant speak for others but since I sh** canned the paper tuning and started this method I get much much better flight from fixed blade broadheads out to my maximum hunting yardage.