HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Pros and cons of Blazer vanes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/92365-pros-cons-blazer-vanes.html)

bigcountry25 03-01-2005 02:51 PM

Pros and cons of Blazer vanes

What are some of the pros and cons of using blazer vanes? I read that they are only 2" and that seems pretty small. I shoot mechanical broadheads so is there any advantage to shooting the blazer vanes?

Medic167 03-01-2005 07:01 PM

RE: Pros and cons of Blazer vanes

I tried them. For my set up they did not work well. I had a FOC problem with then. My FOC went from 2" to 3" on a 28" arrow. My arrows were nosing down past 20yards. Needless to say the Blazers are gone.

Bluefeather 03-02-2005 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Medic167

I tried them. For my set up they did not work well. I had a FOC problem with then. My FOC went from 2" to 3" on a 28" arrow. My arrows were nosing down past 20yards. Needless to say the Blazers are gone.
I have blazers and they are the best. Medic, as far as your arrows nosing down, well, I personally would reduce my point weight or increase my nock weight before giving up on my blazers. You don't know what you're missing out on.:)

gibblet 03-02-2005 06:34 AM

the only negative i could imagine is that they are tough. i'd imagine if you were in a hunting situation and skimmed a twig or branch you didn't see, you'd get much more deflection than with feathers, and some more than duravanes.

Bigpapascout 03-02-2005 03:49 PM

I cannot think of any negatives using the Blazers

DaveC 03-03-2005 05:20 AM

One negative for the deer- they don't hear that loud wavy vaned arrow flying at them!

To my ears as a bystander watching someone else shoot the blazers are way quieter than a duravaned arrow being shot from the same bow.

CBM SC 03-03-2005 07:24 AM

I shot them compared to 4" vanes on a hard helical..........on a real windy day(45 yrds) and found the 4" vanes grouped tighter(not huge...but enough for me to stick with 4") !

No wind ..........they shot exactly the same on my arrows !! ;)

TFOX 03-04-2005 07:33 PM

CBM,did the blazers have a higher profile than the 4".

The Blazers seem to have a very high profile and should be adversely affected in windy situations,therfore defeating the purpose of the short vanes.

I would think a 4" low profile Flex Fletch vane would be a better choice for a hunter wanting a vane to carry broadheads in all conditions. And a 3" low profile for a mechanical user.

JMO and you know what they say about opinions.[:-]