Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone >

Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

I know, I know... another dropaway vs. dropaway debate...
but I have got to choose between the two in the next week to get ready for a hog/exotic hunt next month here in Texas.
You guys that use one or another or both, please give me an honest evaluation to help me decide between the two. Here are some concerns that I have heard that I am trying to weigh out...

MZE
1. Too many moving parts
2. Loud
3. Claw gets snagged easily
4. Gets in the way of bow-mounted quiver

TRDZ
1. Loud
2. Attaching a line to cable = questionable results, ie line breaking or cable stretching resulting in fletching clearance/timing issues
3. Doesn't hold arrow at angles very well

Please let me know what you think, and thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

I don't have any experience with the Muzzy, but do with te DZ
Here's my take
1.- Not Loud at all. Maybe some noise, but definately not loud.
2. Never heard of those issues. I'm sure the cable could stretch some, but that should creat other problems also that would need to be corrected anyway.
3.The rest will hold the arrow only as good as you make the "arrow holder" craddle it when at rest. At full draw draw you could probably cant the bow as far as any hunting situation would call for. Upside down shots are Not gonna happen with this rest.

Good luck on your exotic hunt. I'm heading out for Blackbuck myself next week.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Muzzy myself and I can't say that I've noticed any of the above ,sure it's got moving part's but I've used this rest for 2 season's now and in cold and snowy weather and it doesn't freeze up or make any unwanted noise's ,I've also never had a problem with the hook getting caught up in small branch's or tree's ,it just hasn't happened to me and I hunt in some pretty dense area's . It's not in the way of my mounted quiver at all and for noise I'd have to say not a problem . This is my opinion about the Muzzy I'll be using it for a long time I just love it and it's easy to set up as long as you follow the instructional video .I've never used the Drop zone but I do know 2 guy's that do and I know that they love them as well ,the only issue about the DZ is that some seem to find it a bit on the heavy side .What I personally don't like about the DZ is that if any dirt or a small twig get's stuck in the slot that the arm slide's in it could cause a problem with getting stuck ,I also think if snow was to get into this area as well it could also freeze up on you. But again this is just MY opinion .I think I'd flip a coin on this one,I think that they're both a pretty decent Drop away rest's .

nubo
Old 02-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

What bow are you putting the rest on?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 AM

I own both and haven't seen any of the issues you talk about. I would say they are the two best drop aways on the market righ now. The muzzy only really has one moving part, the arm. It's about as simple as it gets, it just looks complicated. It is also a driven away rest, not a drop away or spring operated rest. All drop aways have moving parts in them.

I will agree I don't care for having to attach the string to my buss cable with he drop zone, but most other drop aways work the same way. If you had enough cable guard travel you could attach it to that. But if I had that much travel I would just use a muzzy.

Both are great rests and do what they are are supposed to, and are easy to set up in my opinion. If you are having problems with it you either didn't read the directions or have poor mechanical skills and just can't figure it out.

Your muzzy rest isn't going to hang up on anything your quiver or sights won't, so I wouldn't worry about it. I actually wish the pick up arm on the drop zone was bigger then it is like on the muzzy.

Just my opinions after using both for a while and setting up some others for friends.

Paul
Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say about the Drop Zone except to say it has at least just as many moving parts

The Muzzy works very well on my one bow. The hook is long (one of your concerns), but a pair of wire ctutters tookcare of that. I just clipped about an inch of it off. Moving parts? As mentioned above--the arm. It has two pivot points, one where it attaches to the bow and the other where it attaches to the cable slide. No cord to break or slip. No spring to break or hang up from debris. I covered the hook with the good old moleskin and now there is no noise from drawing an arrow across it.

If it has one fault it's that it doesn't work well with some parallel limb bows because of short cable slide travel. It won't work well on my SlayR.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info, guys... it seems like a toss-up!

Cornfed, the bow is a Reflex Growler.

Let's see, where is that quarter to toss??
Old 02-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasHunter1

TRDZ
1. Loud
2. Attaching a line to cable = questionable results, ie line breaking or cable stretching resulting in fletching clearance/timing issues
3. Doesn't hold arrow at angles very well

I will add that I have never experienced any results from any of my DZ rigs where they would be considered even the slightest bit "loud". In fact, it is clearly one of THE quietest rests you'll find. Attaching the cord to the downward moving harness isn't really a disadvantage either, in fact it has become the prefered method of most serious bowhunters rigs, DZ, TT, etc. It just hasn't proved to be any sort of problem for anybody I know. I will also note that the TR DZ actually holds the arrow extremely well. In fact the "rack" foam arrow holder will hold the arrow when resting on the shelf very, very well. I can turn my bow on it's side and not loose the arrow. Also, when at full draw, the shaft sits nicely in the v of the vertical launcher perfectly. It will allow you to also cant the bow nearly on it's side proving it's arrow holding ability. Of course, you couldn't possible shoot the bow at these angles so that's as good as it's gonna get when it comes to holding your arrow at the moment of truth. It's an excellent product, certainly worth taking a very serious look at. Good luck and good shooting
Old 02-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I can not speak on the Drop Zone. I have used the Muzzy rest on my last 3 bows with great results. I have not had any issues related to your points. It is the best rest I have used, and I have a lot of confidence in it. It may not look the greatest, but it sure does perform well.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:14 PM

Ive used the Muzzy for the last few years and have never had any problems with it, the hook didnt get snagged on stuff, and it wasnt overly noisey, but it did hit my quiver on my hunting bow, I had to remove the quiver to shoot, but it wasnt an issue because I always remove my quiver when Im hunting or shooting. I recently bought a new bow and decided to try the Drop Zone, and noise and weight were both issues. I compared both rests in weight, and felt the Drop Zone was a little lighter the the Muzzy. And it is a little quieter, probably the quietest drop away Ive ever shot. And best of all, it was super easy to set up and tune. I think both rests are a couple of the best on the market, but I think the DZ edges out the Muzzy in a couple areas, easier to set up, few bucks cheaper, lighter, and quieter. Just my experience, you cant go wrong with either one.

Quick Reply: Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.