Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone >

Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Old 02-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

I own a DZ....

I have to say that I love it. I have the attaching line run through my cable. I did it this way so that The line can only pull so far and then it would slip to the correct spot for length in the cable. After 10,000+ shots.......there is no cable wear and no knot.

I have a freind that has a Zero. I like the rest claw better than the DZ and I know his is quieter than my DZ. How much??? But to my ear it is quieter.
JMO and my set up!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:35 PM

I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but I have not had any of the problems you mentioned with the DZ. It has worked flawlessly for me. As for the MZE, I have not tried it. However, I think it would be a very good choice as well. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I can say about the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone is that the guide series rest has 3 screw positions for center shot that are all approx 3/8" adjustable. It seems as if there is about 1/16" between 2 of the screw settings that the rest doesn't allow you to adjust the rest into, which happens to be centershot on my bow according to my golden key center shot tool. I had to use a hard plastic shim between the rest and the riser to accomplish the exact center shot. I found this a bit frustrating considering the $100 price tag. Other than that, it seems to be a good product but I will provide a review once I have had the chance to shoot it and check for fletching clearance and drop away speed.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experiance with the drop zone , my dealer has "bad mouthed" them to me . The zero effect on the other hand has been on my bows since it came out . Ive had it on 10 or so diferant bows . The older models with the roller slide had a slight noise problem , not bad , but noticeable . The newer teflon slide models are very quiet . Out of the 10 diferant other bows Ive had one on only 1 had a quiver clearance issue , easly fixed by cutting a small peice of arrow holding material with a knife , off of the quickie quiver That I use . The hook snaging is a nonissue for me , I have heard of others that cut a small amount off of the tip of the hook , if it bothers them .
Old 02-21-2005, 07:13 AM

rick, here is an email i wrote to trophy ridge this morning addressing exactly what you are describeing, as i'm having the issue also. i thought about shimming also, but wanted to see if they had a solution.

i have a guide series drop zone. it seems to have at least 1 blind spot, and i'd imagine 2, in the windage adjustment. i need a to make a very small adjustment of the rest to the right. i can make a large one by changing the screw location, but can not get the little bit more i need with the micro adjustment screw. its maxed out on its adjustment. if i change the screw location to the central screw hole, the micro adjustment's range ends just the other side of where i need to be. the width of the blind spot is about the distance between windage adjustment markings. i imagine there is also another blind spot between max left and right adjustment between the middle screw and the left one.

i know this is minimal, however for my bow to tune to me perfectly i need to make this adjustment. i've even tried playing around with my grip to change the torque i place on the bow and can come close to correcting the issue that way, but can't do it completely. i am very happy with the rest and its operation and feel there has got to be a way to get rid of the blind spot, but i just can't figure out how to do it. any help would be appreciated. i can also call if this is too confusing, or can be reached at home today, 2/21/05 beginning at noon EST. sincerely, john mraz

i'll let you know if they have any useful suggestions or fixes. i guess if i really wanted them to call i could have included my phone #, duhhhhh.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

rick, here is an email i wrote to trophy ridge this morning addressing exactly what you are describeing, as i'm having the issue also. i thought about shimming also, but wanted to see if they had a solution.

i have a guide series drop zone. it seems to have at least 1 blind spot, and i'd imagine 2, in the windage adjustment. i need a to make a very small adjustment of the rest to the right. i can make a large one by changing the screw location, but can not get the little bit more i need with the micro adjustment screw. its maxed out on its adjustment. if i change the screw location to the central screw hole, the micro adjustment's range ends just the other side of where i need to be. the width of the blind spot is about the distance between windage adjustment markings. i imagine there is also another blind spot between max left and right adjustment between the middle screw and the left one.

i know this is minimal, however for my bow to tune to me perfectly i need to make this adjustment. i've even tried playing around with my grip to change the torque i place on the bow and can come close to correcting the issue that way, but can't do it completely. i am very happy with the rest and its operation and feel there has got to be a way to get rid of the blind spot, but i just can't figure out how to do it. any help would be appreciated. i can also call if this is too confusing, or can be reached at home today, 2/21/05 beginning at noon EST. sincerely, john mraz

i'll let you know if they have any useful suggestions or fixes. i guess if i really wanted them to call i could have included my phone #, duhhhhh.
Please keep me updated on this, I don't like the shim idea, but it seems to work for now.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:11 PM

rick, i talked to a guy there, either a machinest or engineer or something. he went and checked out what i was saying and agreed. he's making me a new mounting bracket that has more microadjustment. he said you should be able to hit the edges of the microadjustment range from both sides, and the one he sends me will be like that. i told him there was a guy i knew from here that had the same issue, same bow. he said to call customer service and explain the situation, not that your the guy this other guy told so and so about, but just what the issue is, and you'll get funnelled back to him or someone else who can help you and they'll take care of it. hope that helps.

ps: i can actually get a laser aligned centershot set, but when super tuning the bow to me i need just a little more. i've tried all kinds of different grip techniques, but i can't get rid of all the torque. i'm about 1" left at 30 yds with my 20 pin from being perfectly below my poi at 20. if i wasn't so dang picky i'd just live with it. its not even a whole inch, but almost.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:38 PM

I have used both of these rest on my lx, and IMHO i think that the muzzy is a better choice for bow hunting. Both of the rest paper tuned within two shots. Both of the rest where accurate, but IMO the muzzy is quieter. i had a problem with the harmonic dampeners on the trophyridge falling out after a few shots. The drop zone is very loud without the dampeners in, and thats a chance i don't want to take when hunting. IMO i like the big hook on the muzzy, i had an experince when i was using the DZ and a doe walked out. When i took the bow off my bow holder the broadhead snagged on a limb, and my arrow fell off to the side. If i was using the muzzy at that time the hook would have kept the arrow from falling off the bow shelf. hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:03 PM

I give the nod to the MZE. I have one on my Parker UL31. Its the best Drop Away I have used yet and I've used alot of them. I would have one on my Bowtech MM but it doesn't work with the short cable travel on the MM. I have heard that I can cross my cables on top of the cable rod for more travel but haven't tried it yet. I would hate to spend the $$ and it not work.......
Old 02-22-2005, 03:37 PM

In my experience the MZE is quieter than the DZ.

The hook doesn't get caught on stuff and if it does it won't do anything (the hook is tuff)

From what I have heard and read the MZE is more durable. I have read a few posts about the DZ falling apart.[&:]

Quick Reply: Muzzy Zero Effect vs. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.