Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How important is shaft straightness for hunting?? >

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 PM

Default RE: How important is shaft straighness for hunting??

what i'm really wondering is if the .006's and 003's are made on different machines, or with different materials, or glue, or what. i'm guessing they get separated after they are made, as in 1/2 this pole goes in the .003 pile and 1/2 goes in the .006 pile because it didn't come out quite as perfect. i'm speaking between the hunter and the xt or any other companies similar lines.
like i mentioned, i get a few bad arrows each time no matter which i order - much better results when arrows are cut from both ends, and then when i switch to broadheads i pick the best 4-6, the ones that fly perfect. i have room to shoot 6 broadheads at my homemade broadhead target and i don't need any more than that anyway.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:33 PM

If you shoot fixed blades, put them on and then spin them on end on a piece of glass to see which ones are the straightest number your arrows so when you shoot them you will see which ones are the straightest, they will be the ones that group the best. I bought 6 gold tip hunters they shoot great with field tips but when I put my g5s on the ones that don't spin the straightest are the arrows that hit off. How much money did I save when I had to buy more arrows??? I buy the XT only now and still check them with broadheads to be sure.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:45 AM

So what I'm gathering is this: buy the .001's and the .006's at least once in your life to see if there is any difference. if one can honestly shoot the .001's better and notice a difference in their accuracy than go with the .001's. if a person can't tell a bit of difference, cheaper is better. There are so many different opinions in here that I don't think somebody can truely know the differece until they shoot the different arrows for themselves. I'm going to buy the .006 Hunters and shoot them a bit. When I buy my next dozen arrows after that I will try a set of the .001" Pro Hunters. That way I should be able to tell the difference between the two for my shooting style and make future decisions based my finds.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 AM

Please don't try to tell me that all .006 arrows are junk or crap. All of the big name arrow manufactures make .004-.006 arrows and some of you are trying to convince me they are crap?
Not sure about the others, but I haven't tried to convince you or anyone else of that. I tried to give my experience and say that I can tell the difference when shooting fixed blade broadheads and that I don't mind spending a couple more bucks for what I consider the most important part of a hunting setup. When the origanl poster asked "Is the Price difference really worth it for straighter shafts for ranges out to 40 yards?? ", I thought that all opinions would be wanted, not just one side. I will not try to convince you that .006 arrows are junk and you should not try to convince others that all are the same. I don't think it's that difficult to justify the price difference - my opinion.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:27 AM

If the question here is "if" the .001 are worth it ............I say yes based on my experience !

I know you can pick through cheap arrows and get some to fly perfect with fixed blades..............but how many out of a dozen ! IME.....I've been lucky to get 8-9 out of a dozen with cheap arrows and 6 is not out of the norm (Axis') ! [:'(]

So yes........to get 11 or 12 out of a dozen that spin true and shoot fixed blade broadheads dead on.........you bet your arse I'll pay the extra $20 a dozen !

Who is really getting the better yield ????
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

like i mentioned, i get a few bad arrows each time no matter which i order
gibblet, I guarantee you if you bought Easton ACC's you would not get "a few bad arrows" each time. Yes they are more expensive but as others have said, with arrows you do get what you pay for. I have bought several dozen ACC's over the years across a couple different spine sizes and have never had any fliers that don't group with the rest.

The original post was asking about the difference between .001 and .006 all carbon arrows but I wouldn't shoot either over my .003" ACC's even though the GT's are cheaper.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Site Bouncer

Straightarrow,

I have never said that the two arrows are the same.

Please take the time and re-read my posts, quite the opposite. I know there is a difference in the two arrows. What I am saying is 99% of the people will never be able to tell the difference between the two. The original question was regarding hunting situations.

CMB SC

Please show me where I said to go and buy "cheap" arrows? Sometimes I think nobody is reading what i'm writing. I never said to buy "cheap" arrows. There are plenty of GOOD arrows made by all of the big name manufactures that are .006. Are you one of the people that believe all arrows that are not .001 are "cheap" and "junk" no matter who makes them?

I bet Easton and Beman would love to hear that
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Please take the time and re-read my posts, quite the opposite. I know there is a difference in the two arrows. What I am saying is 99% of the people will never be able to tell the difference between the two.
Saying that 99% of the people will never tell the difference, is not "quite the opposite". In fact, it's a very similar statement. The opposite would be to say that everyone would be able to easily tell the difference. I believe that all but the worst of shooters, or the luckiest of arrow builders will be able to tell the difference on groups with broadheads attached. Of course any single arrow or few arrows can fly perfect, but can you get a group of twelve to fly the same way? I believe the odds are much greater in the higher-end arrows and the difference is detectable by most shooters. Once again, this is only my opinion and I believe the original poster is entiltled to it.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 AM

BigJ12...........I wasn't directing any of my comments to you ! I haven't read evrry comment on this thread and I had to go back and look at your post to even see what your talking about..............DON'T TAKE THINGS SO PERSONAL !!

I was refering to cheap arrows as cheap $$$ arrows ! You know as well as I do that .006 are the cheaper arrows any manufacturer sells ! Nobody.......I mean nobody sells .006 for the same or close to the same price as their .001..........so they are "cheap" comparitively !

Now I have no problem saying that Axis arrows at .005 are not worth the $ 89 a doz I paid !! My GT Pro hunter's for $79 are so much better of a deal for the money it's not even funny................so I guess I like "cheaper" arrows !! []

Good Luck and shooting !! -Brent
Old 02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Site Bouncer

Straightarrow

Just because there is a difference between the two arrows dosen't mean people can tell by shooting them.

What i'm saying is that the difference (about the thickness of a human hair) would not be noticed by 99% of the people on this board. I understand there is a difference in the two arrows so don't put words in my mouth.
you should not try to convince others that all are the same.
I am not trying to convince the others that they are the same, I'm trying to convince them that most of them will never be able to tell the difference in a hunting situation. Including myself.

That was the original question right, How important is shaft straightness for hunting? Maybe I should have asked him what his definition of hunting was. I figured he was talking about north american game ie deer, elk, moose, bear, etc... If that is the case (and I think it is) then you are talking about 40yd shots and in. I still contend that the difference in the arrow flight between two quality arrows from quality manufactures of different straightness .001 to .006 would not be noticed by 99% of hunters on this board.

I told him that his extra money would be better spent at the range practicing.

Quick Reply: How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.