Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Switchback: Which Harmonic Dampeners? >

Switchback: Which Harmonic Dampeners?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Switchback: Which Harmonic Dampeners?

Old 02-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default Switchback: Which Harmonic Dampeners?

I just picked up the new Mathews Switchback. What a shooter, smooth draw cycle and no aftershock what so ever. Hey, I have a question for you veteran Mathews shooters. My bow came with the aluminum harmonic dampners installed in the riser. Should I replace them with the brass dampners right away and not bother with the aluminum ones? I noticed that the brass dampners are quite a bit heavier. Would the added weight be worth it as far as improved shootability? Thx.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Switchback: Which Harmonic Dampeners?

I doubt you could tell a nickels worth of difference betweent the two. The brass dampeners were all I used, even in the mountains.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:49 PM

I have used a mathews for 4 years and I prefer the brass ones. I just purchased a switchback myself. Maybe you can help me, I can't get my peep to line up like my other one. The dealer says I need to train it. I did not have to do this on my old Mathews. Any advise?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:39 PM

If your peep isnt lining up, you need to twist your string until it lines up. It might need to be done a few times as you shoot your new bow because of string stretch.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

a buddy of mine i shot with always twisted his peep after every shot ithink he has a mustang
Old 02-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Spike

Ronswitchback,

Mo_Bowhunter is right. You may need to have your archery shop twist the string so that the peep lines up properly. I recently experienced the same problem with my new Switchback, as the Zebra Barracuda string stretched a little bit. I would suggest you put at least 200 shots through the bow before twisting the string. You need to put enough shots through that SB so the string settles in and then you can finalize the peep alignment. In the meantime, prior to drawing back an arrow you can manually turn the peep so that it aligns properly at full draw (you are pretty much guesstimating here but it should be sufficient to allow you to safely shoot your arrow).

Hey Ron, if you want to stretch out that string real fast recruit a couple of your buddies to shoot your bow. I'm sure you'll have plenty of takers. I had 2 friends of mine shoot my bow the first week I purchased it. I got my 200 shots out of the way in a few days. I then took my bow back to the shop and got the peep set right. Another thought, if you are using a string loop make sure it is set up so that when you draw back it centers the peep correctly. When the time does come to replace my string next year, I have 2 words - Winner's Choice.

Be patient, you have a great bow in your hands. As with most new bow setups, it takes a little time and patience to dial everything in. Just have fun with it!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

In my opinion, there isn't that much difference in weight between the two.
I would stay with the aluminum dampeners.
It is just a personal preferance thing.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:15 AM

On the Mathews forums I've been reading people lkie the brass over aluminum but it's really a personal prefference.