Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cold 3D Shoot Help >

Cold 3D Shoot Help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cold 3D Shoot Help

Old 01-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cold 3D Shoot Help

I hope someone can help. I'm shooting a 3D tournament this weekend. It's going to be around 30 degrees. I went out to practice today and the first arrow hit the 10 ring. Then I went to retrieve it. Gorrila puller was no help. The arrow stayed in. When I talked to guys setting up the course they said "these targets have been inside all winter, no water in 'em, arrows wil come out easy". Not true.

I called my local pro shop about my dilema. He set me up with "Slick Tips", and "Gorilla Grease" and also told me to put candle wax on the shafts if necessary.

Will this help? Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm shooting Easton Behman camo finish shafts, I think the camo finish is adding to my pain.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Cold 3D Shoot Help

I use about 3 ticks of a soap bar on the end of the shaft.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what to expect shooting McKenzies outside in the winter. And the fact that are using camo shafts is another. They pull the hardest. And of all the black shafts Carbon Express are the worst.

You can use an arrow puller. You can lube the 1st 3 or 4" of shaft with ivory soap, or any soap. Soap works just as well as anything. When pulling arrows during a shoot use two people. It's always easier that way. Just remember that this is how it is with carbon. And camo carbon are worse.

That's why I often return to my X7's for the winter.

And 30 degrees would be heaven. Our shoot sunday it was only about 15 degrees. At target #4 I couldn't feel my release or bow handle anymore.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

And 30 degrees would be heaven. Our shoot sunday it was only about 15 degrees. At target #4 I couldn't feel my release or bow handle anymore.
It was a bit "chilly" wasn't it.[:-]
Snow and single digits should be a test this weekend.

A simple bar of Ivory soap works great, Duct tape up one end and run a cord through it and attach to your quiver.......or just chuck it in your pocket. lol.
The best stuff I have found is 'Woody's Arrow Lube" a little pricier than soap but works better IMO and my arrows really get in there.
Like barry said shaft style/texture and diameter.....especially diameter in relationship to tip diameter will dictate a lot of how hard an arrow burns into a target.
"Pig" points that punch a hole a bit larger than the shaft are a big help.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with jetblast. Cut a bar of Ivory soap in half and stick it in you quiver. Rub the soap over the arrow from the point back about 4" or so. Very inexpensive and it works well.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woodys arrow lube