Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can your bow split an atom??? >

Can your bow split an atom???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can your bow split an atom???

Old 01-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can your bow split an atom???

I see where Arrowdynamic Solutions is coming out with a broadhead that is made out of "Flexible Nitinol Razor Wire blades". Supposedly it will bend or compress around obstructions and "spring" back "to cut more".

They have dubbed the name of the broadhead "The Atom".

The "wire" or blade is shaped similar to the orbit of atoms we see in illustrations and is somehow connected to a one-piece ferrule that has a cone shaped tip.
How in the Heck would you sharpen these things??????????[8D]
It will be interesting to see how some states will rule on the legality of using these in some states!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:04 AM

Arthur, that is a great looking broadhead. Who makes it?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:50 AM

That a Simmons Art??

Yep...looks lik a Simmons.More Pics here

I saw the Atom. It was....well, interesting.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Straightarrow. TruShot's right. It's a Simmons.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 AM

Default RE: noise

I have shot this broadhead. Did not notice any noise. Killed a doe at 22 yards.

Here (288K file size)

The arrow passed through the deer, hit the ground on the other side, skipped about 20 yards and came to a rest. The deer ran about 50-70 yards and expired. As you can see, the shot was placed in an area where bones are present.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

Unfortunately no. There should be some ads coming out in the mainstream hunting mags soon I would assume. Those fortunate enough to attend the ATA will no doubt see one.

I went to their website and it wasn't even posted there yet.

It would seem to me if the "wire" flexes (anyway as much as I interpret what they describe) it would act as drag. In other words it would appear to me to create additional friction and impede penetration. Additionally it will be interesting to see how durable it is and how sharp. It seems a bit over the top to me, but then, what do I know, I never dreamed people would spend big money to buy jeans with holes already in them.
Additional drag as compared to just a field point perhaps, but not additional drag as compared to a fixed blade broadhead of the same weight. Drag is created by the flat surface moving through a wet area. The more surface area, the more the drag. Drag is minimized by this design, and disturbance of the flight of the arrow based on planing is minimized as well. The final product will be a broadhead that can fly like a fieldpoint and have the same cutting with and fatality of a fixed blade. The ability of the cutting surfaces to retain their original shape while passing between bones will also be realized. Also, with the minimum amount of material required for the cutting surfaces, the majority of the weight of that broadhead will be inline with the arrowshaft, thus kinetic energy will be delivered at the point of that shaft, allowing the head to penetrate quickly, but cutting enough vital area to allow quick, humane kills. At least that's the intent. The product is not yet in production. Their website will be updated shortly with information pertaining to this new broadhead, and like their last one (Gobbler Guillotine), they will answer questions pertaining to it.

It's a new design. I have never seen anything like it. I have shot two deer with it. Two shots, two deer, two passthroughs. However, I was also skeptical before I shot it. I am not skeptical now. I do not work for this company nor do I profit from their sales.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Slick, thanks for sharing your experience. You will have to forgive my cynical attitude, my Momma always told me I would never become President with such cynicism...looks like she was right. [&:]

A couple of questions. How does the "wire" connect to the ferrule? Is the wire flexible enought that when it goes through muscle it compresses? If bone is encountered, how can it "spring back" to it original shape while still inside?

With all due respect to you, that little immature doe is hardly a good test subject for a head, but I do understand they have to start somewhere in gathering data and experience.

I mean no disrespect to you or Dynamic Solutions by my comments or questions. If I can get my hands on some of these in the future I will have to check them out "up close and personal".

Again thanks for your contribution.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

Big Slick, thanks for sharing your experience. You will have to forgive my cynical attitude, my Momma always told me I would never become President with such cynicism...looks like she was right. [&:]
You aint alone in that department my friend.
A couple of questions. How does the "wire" connect to the ferrule? Is the wire flexible enought that when it goes through muscle it compresses? If bone is encountered, how can it "spring back" to it original shape while still inside?
1. The wire is passed through the front of the ferrule, and it clips into the rear of the ferrule (in the one I shot, the production ones may be different).

2. The wire is razor sharp, but very firm from the angle of contact. It is not flimsy at all, and very difficult to bend even by hand with pliers. It cuts through meat like butter. I have a photo of the heart of that animal that has a pretty wide cut through it on either side to indicate that the blade did not compress at that point. Also, the exit wound was X shaped. I won't post that photo here, because of the graphic nature of the photo, but I will give you a link to it if you wish.

3. How it can spring back is that it will be made from a material that retains it's shape, and since this material will also be very firm (more firm than spring steel), quite a bit of force will be required to cause the blades to collapse, but they will return to their original shape because the inside of the animal is not solid material, but flesh and body cavity spaces. I hope that answers the question for you.
With all due respect to you, that little immature doe is hardly a good test subject for a head, but I do understand they have to start somewhere in gathering data and experience.
That doe was very mature. It may be small compared to some in other states, but for Texas hill country, it's a fairly large doe. Regardless, I know of two bucks that were taken with this broadhead as well. You can see the pics on the front of that brochure in the photo someone posted above.
I mean no disrespect to you or Dynamic Solutions by my comments or questions. If I can get my hands on some of these in the future I will have to check them out "up close and personal".
I don't take any offense at skepticism. The owner of ArrowDynamic Solutions is one of the most skeptic people I have ever met. He is not a gadget person, nor am I. We do not own any flying lures (no disrespect to Flying Lures).
Again thanks for your contribution.
You're very welcome. I am not the authority on this broadhead, but I probably have more experience with it than anyone here, so I can answer some questions. Matt could answer your questions much better that I, because he's the inventor.

We all know that if it's not viable, it will not sell (for the most part). No one here needs a new gimick. We have all been gimicked to death already. This is not a gimick.

btw: I shot this broadhead through camo netting from the new Double Bull Matrix blind. If you like ground blinds, check that one out.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Big Slick thanks for the details! This "wire" must be a lot more rigid than it appears, that would certainly make a difference in performance.

Looks like I also made a poor assumption on the doe. I should know better, especially when judging things from a photograph, and/or considering the possibility that it could have been harvested from a geographical location other than the midwest. I apologize for my unending stupidity .

Keep us posted...thanks again.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 AM

No problem! Turkey season is soon to be upon us, so check out the Gobbler Guillotine that's being sold all over the world. That's another one that drew skepticism at first because of it's radically new design, but is being used in places like Africa to take upland birds, and in New Zealand for turkeys. I plan on shooting some of these myself here in Texas this year with my new Hoyt Xtec. :P

Quick Reply: Can your bow split an atom???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.