Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Am I just full of c@#% or not! >

Am I just full of c@#% or not!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I just full of c@#% or not!

Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Am I just full of c@#% or not!

Over the last 15 years I've went back and forth, shooting a peep, to just shooting a kisser button. I don't see any difference up to 40 yards with or without a peep. When I shot spots, I could see the need for a peep as a couple of points at 60 yards could put you in second or 15th place. I can honestly say, for me, a peep in a hunting situation doesn't offer any pluses and if it's that last 1/2 hour or doesn't turn right will be a real hurt. I realize a good string will take care of the rotation possibilty, but I've heard several guys say "If my peep was a little bigger, I might have made the shot, It was to dark". I might just be full of it but most guys just stick a peep on their bow without giving it any concideration. It's just standard equipement like the rest or sight. I have a brother-in-law who says his peep is like looking down a tunnel and he has to have it. I can't argue with him as he has won about 5 more state championships than my zero[&o], but It doesn't seem to help me. Don
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Am I just full of c@#% or not!

I'm a relatively new archer (started about 2.5 years ago) and I've only shot with a peep. Never even had anyone suggest I shouldnt' use one. Honestly I don't want to try and change something that is working for me. Well, that and I dont' have a bow press so installing/removing the peep requires a shop visit.

The good thing about a peep is to achieve a consistant anchor point. Maybe your anchor point doesn't vary enough to matter on shots under 40yrds. If you dont' need it then I would ditch it. It only slows your arrows down and potentially creates a problem in low light.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, I used peeps and sights for dots and some 3D, but I hate sights on a hunting bow. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times over the past 45 years I went hunting with a bow that had sights on it. So, you ain't nearly as full of c@#% as I am.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM

With good anchor points and consistant form you don't really need a peep. There are plenty of people that shoot amazingly well without them. Heck there are people that shoot amazingly well without sights! Peeps just make things easier and more consistant.

I prefer a peep, especially for target shooting, it really tightens my groups up. But for hunting, some thing like the No Peep, or a kisser button should work well if you practice enough. Although without a peep, any little change in your anchor or head position will effect where the arrows strikes. Like say you put all your hunting clothes on or something and don't line up on the string or sights exactly the same, you may miss. Using a peep is a bit more forgiving in this area, if forces you to be in the same position.

I don't have a peep on my bow right now, or the no peep. I shoot reasonably well with it, I could hit the vitals of a deer no problem. However I get a shot that might be an inch low or to the right every now and then at 20 or 30 yards. Most likey because my head is not in the same spot every time, or my anchor changed slightly from one shot to the next. I wouldn't want to enter a contest like that, but it's lethal at the ranges I hunt from. I don't even use a kisser button, just go by the feel of the string on my face.

I guess it depends on what you want to do, what standards you want to hold yourself to, or how much effort you want to put into getting and staying proficient at it.

Paul
Old 01-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I look at it this way. Shooting a bow at 20 yards is like shooting a rifle at 100 yards. We all like to have those 2" groups or less at these ranges (open sights).
How well would you shoot a rifle at 100 yards with out the rear sight?

To me a peep is just like the rear sight on a rifle. Three points of aim (target, front and rear sight) are much better than just two or one. Change something about your form, just as with a rifle, just a little bit with one of these missing and you will change your point of impact.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:33 PM

DavidPaul007, That's exactly the point I was trying to make. No one even thinks of not using a peep. It's like not using a release. A good finger shooter is hard to find nowadays. I would never suggest you should change what's working for you, but if the opertunity should arise to try a bow without a peep, just keep an open mind and give it a shot. May not work for you but then you will know.

Arthur P, I have 2 Chekmate recurves, so I my be as fullof it as you.

bigbulls, My nose on the string, my kisser button and my sight pin seem to give me the rifle anology you speak of. I agree if you don't practice with the clothes you hunt with, you may have an issue, but this is also true of using a peep. A head net, hood or bulky clothes will make you struggle even with a peep[&o].
Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

you ain't nearly as full of c@#% as I am.
Dang art I could have told him that. LOL Just Kidding
Old 01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigbulls, My nose on the string, my kisser button and my sight pin seem to give me the rifle anology you speak of.
A kisser probably helps quite a bit but when I have tried a kisser button I always seemed to get chapped lips right where the kisser made contact with my mouth. If I shot a lot it would actually become painful to shoot.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:59 PM

bigbulls Dude, your kissing her to hard. Seriously, I set my kisser so it just touches the corner of my mouth. I could see where pulling a kisser to hard into your lip could hurt and if set just right, it could sting when shot[]. Don
Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I bore out the peep to match the sight guard. I line up the peep and the sight guard and then aim. It is at this point in time an unconscious process. It is for me the most accurate way. It seems to take me out of it and it lets the bow do its thing. And with this deal the peep aperture is so large that low light conditions are a non issue. I don't see what I lose by using the peep in such a fashion.

Quick Reply: Am I just full of c@#% or not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.