Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Being happy with what you have >

Being happy with what you have

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Being happy with what you have

Old 01-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Being happy with what you have

jsasker, You will find the the most consistant shooters will stick with what works. A few years ago the emphisis was on draw weight, now it's speed. With the evolution of carbon arrows the weight dropped and now speed is the big selling point. If your wondering why many shooters change its for one of three reasons. Noise, constant repairs and replacment of parts and the last, the shooter can no longer pull the big weights they were once able to draw. Most whitetail deer are harvested at less than 40 yards. An arrow traveling at 240 fps. and one moving at 312 fps. will impact the target with less than a eye blink between impacts. The speed bows are primirily for competiton in 3-D shoots where a miss calculation of distance may cause a miss or low score. Watch your favorite hunting video a take close look at the cams the hunter is using when in the stand. Now look closely at the one being displayed when the pictures are being taken. Seldom the same bow. Wonder why?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys should not be so fast to assume ones motives as to their preference in spending their money on different bows.

jsasker, You will find the the most consistent shooters will stick with what works.
I would be willing to bet the few guys here on this forum that buy and sell a lot of bows and post reviews of their findings are pretty good shooters as well as bow technicians whether they are paid professional techs or hobbyists.

I will have my 3-D / hunting bow and that will not change after it is set up and ready to rock. But I will pick up bows through out the year to test and try out for my own personal knowledge.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:03 PM

I think Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt bows have had a LOT to offer in the last 2 years. The cam 1.5 from Hoyt(a redesign of another companies system) but great marketing. Bowtech has went from an unkown to the #2 player, IMO, in the last 2 years. Mathews with the HP cam and the roller guard. I had the LX which was a great bow, but I had issues with the brace height . Got the Outback and it suits MY type of shooting. Works great in a tree stand(LX was a little long for me), 7.5 inch brace height about perfect for coveralls and a lot of clothes. The HP cam at 80% feels good compared to the older cams and a 70 lb. bow feels like 60 lbs. so for ME, there have been some good advances in a very short time. I don't see anything that will make me go out and spend 600.00+ on a new bow this year, but I'll keep my eyes open just in case. Don
Old 01-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an disease called tinkeritis. I think some one here can vouch for it as well. Its simply not that I have to have the new bow each year, or the latest greatest accesories. It just makes the time go by until hunting season the next year.

There is an occasion or two where I'll find a product that does make a difference in my hunting or shooting. More often than not, its just to tinker with.

Besides, if we tinkerers didn't do this, how would we find out about products that actually work well?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the thing that gets to me the most is the claims made that this new bow is so much better than last years best bow when the truth is that if any improvements were actually made they are hardly detectable.It's just a bunch of hype imho.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the thing that gets to me the most is the claims made that this new bow is so much better than last years best bow when the truth is that if any improvements were actually made they are hardly detectable.It's just a bunch of hype imho.
Without trying all the new bows out how can you come to this conclusion? The others and I are speaking from our experience of first hand knowledge because we have shot and in many cases owned the said bows.

I agree many times it is hype. But sometimes it isn't.[8D]
Old 01-03-2005, 09:58 AM

Picking up 100 fps is worth it to me!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

From where I sit it looks like those that upgrade annually have the funds available to do so and enjoy doing it.
I think that somes it up for alot of folks...myself included though that pocketbook has gotten much smaller since my son stepped into my life. Personally, I just enjoy trying the new models every year. Each one has a new feel and new shooting characteristics. They may not necessarily be better but they are different.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those of us who dont change bows like underwear also try out new bows every year , we just dont buy them. Anyone who is just buying a new bow to tinker with and then later sell it is taking a killing , resale on bows absolutely sucks , but it's your money!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem I have is that for me to try something I have to order it b/c I'm left handed. I have tried many bows from many manufacturers and while they have all "fit the bill" for killing deer I'm always interested in trying something new. Also, I have a specific set of criteria that I would like satisfied and have yet to find a bow that will do this. Once I do, I most likely won't buy a new bow for a while, but I'll enjoy trying everything out until I find it.

Quick Reply: Being happy with what you have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.