Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bohning blazer vanes >

Bohning blazer vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bohning blazer vanes

Old 12-31-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Bohning blazer vanes

Has anyone shot these vanes thru a whisker buscuit and do they stablize broadheads as well as claimed. I'm a little sceptical of a 2" vane and 125 grain Thunderheads.Thanks, Don
Old 12-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bohning blazer vanes

I've shot some easton 400's w/ blazer vanes last summer through my stalker and can say that they show NO wear as far as passing through the WB goes. I'm shooting yellow blazers and they do show some black discoloration from the original QS bisquits I have.
I never really put them to the test BH wise as I only shoot that bow during the off season to keep my muscles right.

I will say this though- the only arrow I could get to hit a phantom BH at point of aim at 30 yards with my Patriot was fletched with blazers.

I just bought a box of one color to play with and fletched up some arrows using a magic marker to identify the cock vane.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tested Blazers for the local archery shop when they first came out. I was using ACC's to make sure I had decent arrows. The Blazers did fine with everything from 75 grains up to 100 gn T'Heads, Muzzy's, Bear Razorhead Lite and Steelforce. I started losing some accuracy when I got to larger diameter 125 grainers, like 6" groups at 30 yards instead of 3". Blazers could not control the big, unvented heads like Magnus I and Zwickey Delta though.

My results were with 33" arrows. Might have had different results with shorter arrows, but I didn't want to mount an overdraw on my bow just to test vanes. I also did not test them on large diameter aluminum arrows. I went into the test expecting a disaster and came away impressed at how well they actually performed with those particular arrows, within that particular range of broadhead sizes and weights. They do have their limits though.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks guys, I am going to XX75 2213 or ACC's (gulp! they are expensive). I like 5" feathers a little right helical. They have shot great out of the Whisker Buscuit but I have gotten good results with the Bowning 4" vanes also. If the Blazers work with my set up, I might have to go that way. Don
Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be using them next year. They do work well, save you weight and are more durable than feathers. Great compromise all the way around.