Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mathews safari

Old 12-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default mathews safari

I had thought about buying the mathews safari.Wen i went to the bow shop the guy said,that the safari has no new tec on it.That it is built in an old way and that a new outback or most of the new 70# bows would shoot faster than a #80-#90 bow.I have been shooting at #78 for the last 3/4 years.
I do not buy a bow every year so i would like to make a informative buy.

ty charles bradford
Old 12-30-2004, 09:27 AM

Default RE: mathews safari

You Dealer is handing you some bull. Mathews does not ake a lot of Safari's but the bow is really a beefed up version of the Conquest or close to it. Since it goes up to a 100# pull I would imagine it would send a arrow along rather quickly! The Safari is designed for big game like in Africa. For your average deer hunter I would say it would be a bit of overkill.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

The couple of Switchbacks that we looked at came in 3-5 lbs heavy and that bow holds real well and is very powerful. I'd look at that one, just make sure about the draw they're running a half inch long.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

NOT to good I have emailed mathews many days ago with no addvail.

I hunt elk,moose and bear I do hunt deer allso. This year I am going to a 2 1/2 broadhead .
Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elkin !

There is absolutely no need for you to be pulling 70+ for moose and deer sized animal's. I hunt moose with 60# with no problem ,so why have to pull the extra wieght if you don't need to, at the very least I'd go to a 70# bow if your comfortable with it .Here in Ont all you need to hunt moose is 50# to be legal. I'm sure you would be alot more comfortable at pulling less since your only hunting moose and deer .

Yes ! I have to agree that you can get a different bow that shoot's smoother ,draws smoother and shoot's faster than the Safari, I'd definetly be getting something other than the Safari for your type of hunting .

NO SAFARI

nubo
Old 01-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

nubo
I do a ton of elk so far i have not lost one. This last year i hunted the MO breaks and there was a ton of elk shot that did not get pass thoughs. I found 4 my self ALL had good shots placement but the arow hit the sholder. Hiting a sholder with a 60# bow and light arrows means no pass if there is any misstakes.Right at the monent I shot a 78# hoyt and a log as every one calls it. I have only shot 4 elk but all where pass thoughs 2 went tough sholder blades.I have only lived in MT for 6 years so i have only hunted elk in that time.

I hunt with 4 dif guys so far not one of them has had a sholder hit and get a passthough.They do allso kill elk most every year and they shot 60 to 70# bows. And so far in the time i have been hunting with them all of them have lost a elk or 2 from loss of blood track. We did find them in the next day or two by using birds but did not get the meat. Only lost one that was never found.

AS all bow hunters I do what works for me. Stay out side the box
Old 01-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Elkin,that if that is what you feel work's for you then that's fine ,but I wasn't telling you that you were wrong ,you asked for advice and that's just my opinion, since I hunt moose with a 60# bow and we are yet to lose one and I don't believe for a minute that a Elk can be that much harder to take down. So what ever your comment stay outside the box mean's ,but I take it as mind your own business. You asked and I answered.

nubo
Old 01-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

no way dose it meen to not speek your mind. It meen that I do difrant things than most people.Sorry for the missunderstanding I did not meen anything of the sort. Elk are much harder to kill than moose in my opinion. If you shoot a moose he walks about 100 yards then stands there to die. Elk seem to run down hill as far as they can. Kinda like shooting a deer on stairroids.

I was not trying to give you crap just explaning why i would like a 80# bow :}
Old 01-01-2005, 01:06 PM

I would try one of the newer bows shooting your hunting arrow at 70lbs and then try a safari shooting 80lbs with your hunting arrow and see what the difference in speed is. Then use that information to figure out how much KE each setup is making. With that information in hand you might see that one of the newer bows shooting 70#'s would produce nearly as much KE as a the Safari and be easier to draw to boot.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never hunted Elk before but i do know all about moose ,I have to agree that Elk would move quite a bit faster than a moose ,But as for body size and in taking an arrow couldn't be much different. Sorry I misinturpreting your statement . Anyway's good luck in your search for a new bow, you'll definetly get the right advice here .

nubo

Quick Reply: mathews safari

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.