Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback >

I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback

Old 12-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback

Well I can't beleive I did this as I was sure I'd be ordering a Switchback, but instead I placed an order for an Outback with a trophy taker. This was purely from a hunting bow standpoint and the decision wasn't even close. It wasn't about what was the better bow but what I prefer in terms of specific characteristics for a pure hunting bow and which bow worked for me better. It also helps a great deal to have a strong relationship with your dealer, who really took great care with me and addressed all the issues that were important to me. But I digress, am I even allowed to post on here anymore? LOL

These are my thoughts regarding the decision:
The Outback draw cycle while not as smooth was a little easier. The Switchback ran long and the shallower string angle would require a shorter draw length for me and with hunting arrows the performance wasn't that much different to begin with. With the 1/2 inch longer draw on the Outback the performance issue was a non event. The Switchback is slightly more reflexed and the Outback has a good half inch more brace height which for me is more hunter friendly. The Outback has a drawstop and so has a more solid back wall which I prefer. The Switchback is a bit quieter, but for me compared to what I've been shooting, the Outback is plenty quiet. I actually prefer the slightly shorter ATA and riser length of the Outback in terms of manueverability. The Switchback has a better valley, but I'll replace the tubing on the Outback's draw stop with umbilical tubing to give it a little more valley, but then again I really don't want too much of a valley with the 80% letoff. I wasn't planing on a new rest but I really didn't like mine and the trophy taker will allow me to keep my existing arrows, which saves me hundreds of dollars.

Anyway I just wanted to share this, because we talk about these things all the time, about preferences. It is such an individual decision and our preferences do vary and I sit hear in a bit of disbelief regarding my decision. I can't say that the Switchback isn't the better bow, but I can say the Outback is the better bow for me.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 AM

Default RE: I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback

My take :

I shot a Switchback the other day.............and while I think it's a great bow...............it's not going to be the one to make me sell the Outback !!

I thought the draw cycle was a little tougher than my OB. The backwall is slightly spongy ...........where as the OB is rock solid with the draw stop. The SB has more valley..............but after shooting the Outback for almost a year.............I have to say...........I prefer the short valley on the 80% cams(65% would be another story). I also found the SB to have a little vibration.........kinda like my LX did . The OB shot side by side with it..........was dead on the shot with the same arrows !

But the Switchback is definately quieter . It's not a night and day difference but is nice enough to have my interest up...........I don't know if it's the new strings or something else...........but the bow is quieter without a doubt ??!!

The dealer had chrono'd the bow at 29" (but it felt more like 29.5) ,74# 420 grain arrow.........284 fps through a B2 WB ! Pretty good speed............but still in the ballpark with my Outback !

I have about decided I'm keeping my Outback this year and it will be the first time in 4-5 years I haven't gotten a "this year's" bow !!!

But I will try to shoot a 60# Allegiance before I call it quits for sure !! []
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrat's on your new Outback,this is what it's all about ,Your Preference ,so many time's we get wrapped up in the new! that we buy what's new on the market instead of what feel's right to us . When I see these post's asking which bow we should buy on this forum ,I alway's have to say it's really has to be your decision because what feel's right for me, might not be what's actually right for you .I'm just glad to hear of someone who has actually went in with an open mind and know's exactly what they're looking for and done what's actually right for them .Every year every bow company come's out with new model's ,which make us all think that they must be better than last season because it's new ,and you know maybe they are ,but you bought what felt right and that's exactly how a bow is to be chosen. I'm certainly glad that you posted this so other's may learn how to choose for themselve's .Congrat's to you on an excellent job of choosing your new bow. Far too many people get wrapped up in all the hype of new model's every year and don't take the proper time and steps to choosing thier new bow's. I'm very glad that you did.

nubo
Old 12-27-2004, 08:07 AM

Congradulations on your new bow purchase. I Hope you enjoy your Outback as much as I like mine! Did it come equipped with the Barracuda strings? I am curious as to how they perform vs. the Zebra junk.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

I know that the Outbacks come with the 1425 Zebra, which is a better string. Mine is on it's way so I don't think it'll come with the new baracuda strings. I'm not too worried about it though as when I get a new bow I shoot till I burn in the new form. What ever string comes with it won't last a year. I think on the 05 models you can request the baracuda string.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see someone looked past the hype and got the bow that felt right to them.

I would have to shoot both before deciding also. I have shot the Outback and have my thoughts on it. Now I need to shoot the switchback to check it out.

Both are gonna be great bows, sounds like you bought the one right for you.

I bet this thread will have some Outback owners cooling their heals on making the switch too quickly.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm wondering why Mathews didn't put a limb type draw stop on the Switchback. Through all of the WOWs you hear about the bow, that is one of the negatives I've heard a few times. I think it might cost them more sales than just this one.

CBM, maybe you can get one of the new cable roller things with the harmonic dampeners for your Outback. Cant figure how those bows are making noise. Jeff B. told me his was a bit noisy too. That seems to be the only downside I can find in my "new" 2003 Patriot Dually.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have it fully setup yet, just has the trophy taker and a loop and a peep, I don't have my sight on it yet, it does have the ultra limb savers. But I bottomed it out, which my dealer checked at 73lbs and the draw is no harder for me than my FX with the minimax bottomed out. In fact maybe a little easier. I can stop the draw just before it rolls over and then very slowly roll it over. This is an easy draw for me, I'm going to leave it bottomed out. The hard part with this bow is pulling the broadheads out of the target. I don't think I realized how big a performance increase I would be gaining. The other thing and I think having it bottomed out helped, is I didn't anticipate how stable a platform this is. You come out of full draw to anchor and you are there!!! It is also such a pleasure to shoot. And that is because there's nothing at the shot. I mean you know you shot it, you see the arrow in the target, but you look at the bow like it didn't go off. And that back wall, oh yeah!!!

I am also very surprized by how quickly I have become accustomed to these parallel limb bows. Like others here have mentioned, the transition was almost instantaneous and I already prefer it.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 AM

I think you made a decision based on what was important to you. I made the decision to trade my LX last year for the Outback based on the brace height and haven't looked back. I will shot the Switchback but being a bit longer and 1/2" less brace height, it will take something I don't see, to make me change. I also have heard the Switchback was a little quieter and the does interest me. I talked to a guy in one of the shops I go to and he said we might be able to get the roller guard with the dampeners. This could be the difference in the noise level. Worth a try if not to pricey. Don
Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah my understanding is that it will be offered as an accessory.

Quick Reply: I thought I was getting a Switchback, but I just ordered an Outback

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.