Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 No cable guard bows! >

No cable guard bows!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

No cable guard bows!

Old 12-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No cable guard bows!

Pinwheel 12,

If it's something better, that's great with me.

OB,

That may be true to some who are used to loading an arrow along the rest past the cables.
But I have always loaded my arrows nock toward string even with a cable guard.
In reality, if you miss your first shot, how many deer are going to hang around and give you a second opportunity anyway ?
Sure, it happens on occasion but not very often.
Especially, with a wise old trophy buck.

Sag.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:01 PM

LOL Sag. I hope I don't miss too many of them but when you do that 100 million chance of getting a second shot off is good odds for me! I know with those types of odds I should never go to vegas....I would be poor in about 5 seconds!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Keep on rubbing that lamp, maybe your wish will come true. (or maybe something even better, gotta quit thinking "inside the box" my friend!)
Oh, Oh, OH!! Me, me me!! I've been on that waiting list for several years now as well!

I still go back and forth between the shoot through and cable guarded bows. I've shot clean indoor rounds with both. If Merlin finally does makes a three track, I'll be one of the first on the order list....
Old 12-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always thought the best design was a fastflight string with steel cables that anchored into the cams.
Fisions of my old Jennings Carbon Extreme just came back. Loved that bow. Still do, I'll have to brush some of the dust off it this weekend.

But I think a lot has to do with a persons preference of loading arrows on the bow. The split cable systems are nice, but it isn't so easy to get an arrow on in a hurry. Especially if you're using fixed bladed heads.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm surprised Dairy King didn't jump in on this one.

Since Oneida's don't have a cable guard why not shoot one of them instead of having to shoot thru the cables possibly cutting them with a broadhead or having the cables hot your coat sleeve.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Acually, I was going to. But since he already stated something about Oneida's in his post, I decided not. Got a problem that I love my Oneida's?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a problem with Oneida's, state your problems. I would love to hear it. You can even PM me if you want. I would love to hear what your problem with them is.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Dairy King,

Did I say aything in my post that was offensive to you or Oneida? Please point it out if I did.

Toby
Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 AM

I read through this post a few days ago but never really gave much thought to it. Until last night that is....when my cable guard snapped in two during my indoor league. So now my interest level has risen just a little. I'm not ready to scrap a bow simply because of a broken cable guard, but it might be time to start researching my next purchase.

For those of you who have shot the various shoot thru models, is there any issue of vane clearance between the cables? It doesn't seem that there would be. But lets say you were shooting a super fat 2613 with a high profile 4 or 5 inch feather; would it still fly through there with no contact?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Jeep,

Of course it will depend on the height profile of the feather/vane you're using, but I have used 25's with feathers on my Merlin shoot-through with no problems.

Martin offers some extra wide axles to give more clearance for just this reason. I know guys shooting 26's with feathers and a shoot through system, so it can work.

Quick Reply: No cable guard bows!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.