Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed... >

Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed...

Old 11-29-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed...

Ok, heres the question and story... My uncle gave me a PSE Elite about a year ago. (It had been his and I found it at my grandparents and he said I could have it) Anyway, I put it up until this last summer when I got bored and desided to take it and try it out. Not knowing what I was doing I held it in my left hand and pulled it back with my right. I didn't shoot worth a darn (didn't have sights or release). I got it Back out a few weeks ago and went to Walmart and bought some stuff for it, again not knowing what I was doing, and took it out back, sighted it in and shot it. After shooting it a few days Iam resonable good shooting 2in groups at 10yds, 2in at 20yds, 3in at 30yds, and 6in at 40yds.
Heres the question: Ive got to looking and the arrow rests on the right side of the bow, so this means it is a left handed bow correct? Also I have obviously been shooting it wrong (shooting left handed bow right handed) Is this OK since Iam shooting pretty good for having practiced a week?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed...

the handedness of how you shoot a bow is the one you release the string with. so you are a right handed shot. as for you bow, when you are holding it to shoot the cable will be on the right with respect to the string if it is right handed or left f the string if it is left handed. if the sight and rest is mounted on the right side of the riser it is right handed, opposite for a left handed bow. hope that helped
Old 11-29-2004, 09:44 PM

sounds like you are shooting a left handed bow. pretty impressive results i might add. i imagine if you were shooting a right handed bow you would be even better.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 PM

wow that is very good results, if you are holding the bow as if you are going to shoot it and the arrow rest and sights are mounted on the right hand side its a left handed bow and the bow should be held in the right hand and drawn back with the left hand a right handed bow will have the arrow rest and sights mounted on the left hand side of the riser and the bow will be held in the left hand and drawn back with the right hand.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM

snowman, i think you crossed your rights and lefts, with a right handed bow sights and rests are mounted on the right side and extend across the riser towards the left, over the shelf. the quiver is also in the right side on a right handed bow
Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM

adkfreeridex,I shoot lefty with mind you a left handed bow and when I hold the bow to shoot I hold it in my right hand and draw back with my release in my left hand when I draw back and look through my peep sight the sights are mounted on the right side of the riser as well as the arrow rest and the quiver is mounted on the left side of the bow I also used to shoot right handed and when I shot right handed I held the bow in the left hand and drew back with the right hand and when I drew back and looked through my peep sight the sights were mounted on the left side of the riser as well as the arrow rest and the quiver was mounted on the right hand side of the bow just so you know every thing I am saying is in relation to looking at the bow as if you are about draw the bow.

example this is a right handed bow and if you were to hold this right handed bow as if you were ready to shoot the sights,rest are mounted on the left side of the riser and the quiver is mounted on the rightside

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat21424
Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM

this is the set up for a right handed bow

sorry about the size, i did not know it would come out that big
Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 PM

well a case of miss communication adkfreeridex I was talking about the actual sights and rest and which side of the riser their are on (right handed bow left side left handed bow right side) and you were talking about the actual mounts where they actually screw into the bow which you were right about.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So why don't people just buy a right handed bow (since its easier to find parts for) and shoot it however they like, left or right handed? I like shooting a left handed bow, right handed because there is no chance of the string hitting me, oh and it was a free bow I tried to shoot it correctly (left handed) But it didn't work out too good)

Again thanks for the replies.

Oh, another thing, (this makes me look like a dumb ass) Anyway, when I said I had no idea what I was buying at Walmart, I wasn't kidding. Well I guess I did know what I was buying I just didnt know the bow was left handed. I bought I rest for a right handed bow, didn't know what I was doing when I set it up, and put it on upside down. Instead of dropping down it is stiff and can only be raised up lol.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM

your best bet would be to go to a pro shop and get it set up properly. you need to find out if you are left eye or right eye dominent that will tell you what handed bow to shoot. even though you shoot alright shooting a left handed bow right handed you will never reach your full potential as a bow shooter. even if you are left eye dominent and you are more comfortable shooting right handed and closing one eye then all the power to you lots of great archers do it personally I used to shoot right handed(because I am right handed) when I was left eye dominent and I decided to learn to shoot left handed and actually it didn't take that long to get used and I could not even wipe my a$$ with my left hand. Like I said go to a pro shop they will help you out. also you mentioned that the string can't hit your arm this way but the thing is if your form is proper and the bow is set up for your draw length the string should never hit your arm. Good luck

Quick Reply: Newbe, Shooting Left handed bow right handed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.