Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow Choice? Give me your opinion... >

Bow Choice? Give me your opinion...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Choice? Give me your opinion...

Old 11-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Bow Choice? Give me your opinion...

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Slim, from your pic above, it looks like you have one of your vanes lined up to go right through the black part of the WB. Perhaps not since you shoot fingers, but the fact that it's more "wavy" and distorted than the other two suggests you are getting hard contact.

You may want to rotate your nocks so that the vanes clear the black fibers and see if you get better arrow flight. Of course this will most likely necessitate a retune and sight in, so keep that in mind...
I have recently fixed the Wisker Biscuit problem. I just switched to another type of fletch and the problem was completely solved. That's a relatively old picture. Thanks for your help though.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

So do you believe that shooting with fingers is as accurate and consistant as shooting with a release?
It depends on the person and on the application. For most people who have a goal of pinwheeling 1" dia X-rings, shot after shot, probably not. For hunting, where you're shooting to hit a soccerball size kill area, fingers release is definitely as accurate and consistent. Assuming, of course, you have a bow that is long enough to allow a fingers release and you've done your part with practicing and developing an accurate, consistent release.

Plus, fingers release has several advantages over mechanical releases. Primarily, you don't get that metallic, game spooking 'CLICK' at the release. If you forget your tab/glove and don't have a backup in your pocket, you can still shoot barefingered. If you forget your release and don't have a backup, you go back home. You can buy a whole pocketful of tabs for what one decent release will cost, and similar gloves/tabs will give you a similar release. You just have to hope a backup release will shoot close to the same as your primary release. Often they don't.

And you don't have to worry about clanking your fingers against the bow or the stand and scaring all the critters out of the county. A release, swinging on a wrist strap tho....

For myself, I actually do shoot better with my fingers than I can with a release. I guess it's one of those 'old dog, new tricks' thingies.

So do you perfer the Hoyt ProTec better then the Pearson? What are the advantages to the Hoyt?
Other than the Hoyt split limbs being far superior to Pearson's - wider and more stable with better construction - and better performance from Hoyt's Cam 1/2 than you can get with Pearson's single cam system - I have never had any problem getting a consistent, repeatable grip with Hoyt handles.

How far can I confidently shoot? If you're talking targets, I'll shot with confidence out to 80 yards and beyond, barebow and fingers release. If you're talking game animals, I have a personal limit no further than 30 yards. If I can't get within 30 yards of the animal I want, I have not earned the right to draw my bow. That is simply my challenge to myself and has no bearing on my shooting skill. I bowhunt to get close to animals. If I were taking 50 yard shots, I figure I might as well be using a 30-30.

As to what size groups I currently shoot with my Hoyt, honestly... I suck. My shoulder is shot, from shooting ultra heavy draw bows in my younger days, when they were easy to handle. 15 years ago, I was shooting compounds up to 100 pounds and longbows up to 120 pounds. Now I've got arthritis in the shoulder joint and a collarbone that pops out of socket at my sternum. Before the shoulder went south on me though, I could hold archer's minute of angle or better out to 90 meters. When I first got it, my Hoyt was set at 60. Now I've had to back off to 50 and it's gotten to where I can't handle even that any more. It looks like if I want to continue shooting archery, I'm gonna have to switch to lefty.

That's my only comment on your preference for shooting 80 pounds.
First off, thank you very much for your informative reply.

I failed to mention that my Pearson is a wheel bow, not a cam bow. Also, on the topic of releases versus fingers I would like to add that I think that fingers are faster also. This doesn't really matter in a stand, but when you hunt like I do, sometimes you are taking very quick shots. I was really only interested in the release for the added accuracy and consistancy aspect, but I never REALLY wanted to switch. I love shooting fingers. The Wisker Biscuit also goes along with the whole speed thing. When I used to shoot the flipper I always had problems with the arrow falling off when my adrenaline was pumping or when I was shooting heavy uphill or downhill angles. Now, I never have to hold the arrow when I am pulling it back or worry about it falling off.

All I have to say about the shoulder problems is I hope it never happens to me. But when it does, because "arthur" (as my grandpa calls it) does run in my family, it going to make me sad that I can't shoot my bow anymore. But I just turned 20 so I guess I have a little more time to do some damage.

Oh, and I have a question. When you shoot with fingers do you put the three fingers below the arrow or two below and one above? I have seen the three fingers below method used, but I use the other. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both methods?

Here is a pic of me with the cow I killed this year, well part of her. She was pretty nice sized (3 year old), and we got about 150 lbs. of meat out of her. And that's all that matters to me.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM

I didnt read the rest of the posts, but i would have to say if you dont want to have to worry about tinkering with the bow at all, making adjustments, or having adjustments made, then the Hoyt might not be the best pick. Hoyt makes a great bow, dont get me wrong, but with the twin cam, over time they will get out of adjustment. I dont know how long, but it can and will happen.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

One thing I would definitely change on your setup is the bow quiver. You can get a better quiver that keeps the arrows closer to the bow for much reduced torque. You could also take the wood side plates off your Pearson, and cover the riser with fleece or moleskin and see if that doesn't improve your possible torque issues. I personally would not expect great accuracy with the Whisker Biscuit shooting fingers, but I guess it can be done. I know that guys do quite well with them shooting with a release aid.

The Darton Tundra Extreme is 40.5 Axle to Axle with a 7.5" brace height. It is rated @ 311 IBO, so it is very fast for such forgiving specs. My old damaged shoulders are pulling #61 and the bow is putting out 65 lb./ft. of kinetic energy (29.5" draw).

Darton Archery

The Reflex model that Straightarrow is referring to is the Reflex Caribou. I think it is about 42 or 44" ATA and has a brace of 9" or so. It is not a fast bow, but should be forgiving.
You read my mind about the quiver. I purchased a new quiver that sits closer to the bow right before elk season. It's an 8-arrow PSE with all the arrows basically flat in one row, not stacked in two like my old one. It works much better and the bow feel more balanced also.

That Darton is really fast for such a long bow. Not to mention I will be shooting 80 lbs. and a 32'' draw length, which should help out on the speed factor. I will definately look into it when I am shooting potential bows. So it seems to be down to three, the ProTec, the Tundra and the Caribou. I am sticking with fingers.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharpshot_71

I didnt read the rest of the posts, but i would have to say if you dont want to have to worry about tinkering with the bow at all, making adjustments, or having adjustments made, then the Hoyt might not be the best pick. Hoyt makes a great bow, dont get me wrong, but with the twin cam, over time they will get out of adjustment. I dont know how long, but it can and will happen.
I have heard Mathews make this argument before in their adds. Not to mention a few people that had the same concern. But what I don't understand is why or how? Also, Hoyt claims that the accusations by Mathews addressing this problem is a myth, but obviously they would, it's their bow.

So does Mathews have a long ATA single-cam bow? I can't find a website for them.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Oneida Black Eagle if you can. I have to say its THE best bow out there right now. It has THE smoothest draw, and the shot is so recoil free, its so UNBELIEVEABLE you can barely believe you even shot the bow. My 10 year old Phantom II is a better bow than these new wheely bows nowadays, IMO. The let off is awesome too. Instead of it letting off within an inch from your face, its constatly letting off, instead of all at once. And, with the lever lever action on an Oneida, you pulling 80 lbs will feel like 68 lbs. I know people nock the Oneida line, but now that it has changed hands, Its an entirely different bow. Top quality, and the customer service is awesome. Oh, I almost forgot, You dont even need to go to a shop to work on it. A screwdriver, some allen wrenches and 2 wooden dowels is all you need to COMPLETELY dissasseble the entire bow.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Can you give me a couple resources for custom-made strings?
There's probably a couple who frequent this forum. If not, you can go to the forum in the following link, which has many advertising and several who post a lot. [link]http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/[/link]

Custom strings are better, because of the methods used to tie the string, pre-stretch it, and serve it correctly and carefully. The string materials used are the same. However, there are quite a few choices on the market, and I'm partial to Brownell's Ultracam, which has the least stretch of any.

Speaking of forgiving bows, Reflex makes a long ATA bow that has some good specs. I can't remember the model name, but Chuck Adams shoots it.
Thanks for your help. I will definately look into the Brownell string.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you shoot with fingers do you put the three fingers below the arrow or two below and one above? I have seen the three fingers below method used, but I use the other. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both methods?
I shoot both styles with my compound, usually 3-under when I'm shooting barebow and split finger with sights. 3-under raises the nock of the arrow close enough to my eye to offset the speed difference between my compound and my stickbows. What I mean is, with 3-under I can use the same sight picture with my compound's flatter trajectory as I use when shooting my stickbows w/split finger release.

3-under makes more bow noise and is a little tougher to tune for because it puts more bend in the bottom limb. I have to make some serious adjustments to my bow's tiller for shooting 3-under, to equalize the pressure on both limbs. Some folks feel like they get a smoother release when using 3-under vs split. Can't say I've noticed much difference tho. If I hadn't been so much of a switch hitter between compounds and traditional over the years, I'd probably have stuck solely with split finger release.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:15 PM

Thanks.

On a side note, if I changed my tiller so that the arrow goes through the Wisker Biscuit without contacting the bracket at the bottom, would it change the accuracy of the bow? I since have fixed the problem with the wisker biscuit, but I can't figure out how to set the tiller back to the factory settings. How would I know for sure other then just doing it by eye?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you changing your tiller so it doesnt hit?

Quick Reply: Bow Choice? Give me your opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.