Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Revamping my old Compound >

Revamping my old Compound

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Revamping my old Compound

Old 11-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Revamping my old Compound

OK Guys,

Looks like I wont be getting the Bowtech bow for a while. Till then Ill revamp my old 1984 BEAR *HUNTER* Compound bow...

A few questions please guys...

How good are those pulley cables good for? They look ok... still its been a while.

How accurate can a hunting bow in itself be from those ancient times?

Lastly, Im going big on an arrow rest and other accuracy items.

I couldnt get better than 15" "groups" at 50-60'. Man I was patient calm and attentive with a peep sight but there you go. Its why I stopped shooting too.

Anyone ever hear of a bow and beginner that awful - and I was so into being proper about all technique and all.

Thank you for all your help guys.

Pete |Pala
Old 11-22-2004, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Revamping my old Compound

I'm not a bow mechanic by vocation, so maybe one of these guys with more experience can give you a better answer, but I would think as long as there is no damage to the metal cables they should be good to go. They might have stretched a bit over the years and need to be tweaked though.

You don't have to go all crazy with a rest either to be accurate. Just get one that is easy to adjust and solid. I suggest the GFK's or a NAP quicktune 3000. I don't know how a drop away would work on one of those bows, depends on the model I guess. And you don't need a drop away to be accurate, it just helps with fletching contact. The rest will also depend on how much center shot your bow has, you may not be able to use a modern rest with a bow that doesn't have much cut out on the riser. I have never tried however so I'm not sure.

As far as accuracy, as long as everything is working on the bow and you have good form these older bows are Very accurate. Probably more so than the newer bows. They just are not as fast is all. But they have less let off, weigh more and have longer Axle to Axle lengths making them more forgiving to shoot.

Lots of target records have been set with old bows that still have not been beat even with all the new high tech equipment. So yes they are accurate in the right hands. Look at some of the bows that the outdoor field shooters use for long distance type stuff. The are very close to the older style bows in the fact that alot of them have round wheels, are long, and are heavy.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you think you stink? Hey man, we all have to start somewhere. Let one thing be known though. Doesn't matter if a bow is one year old or 100 years old. It will only be as accurate as the shooter, no matter what expensive stuff is mounted on it.

I would replace the cables and string on your present bow if you are planning on keeping it. Frankly they should be replaced about every 3 years, whether you shoot or not. Considering your experience level ( as I see it) you would be well off to get a simple rest such as a Star Hunter or maybe even a Whisker Bisquit. When you buy arrows get decent ones if carbon. Not the el-cheapo's and not top quality, but something decent. And make sure they are spined properly for length and bow weight. This is what is most important--properly spined arrows. Even these should group well whether the bow is out of tune or not. Good, consistent arrows will almost always group together. They might fly ugly getting there but they won't scatter all over the place. The shooter is what does that.

Work on shooting form. That is the only real variable when shooting a bow. The bow and arrows, and all the other things we use do not change from shot to shot. Only the shooter does. You have to learn to do the same thing on every shot. Time and time again. One arrow at a time. Shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow. Does any of this make any sense?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:12 PM

I would suggest taking the bow to a proshop and have them laser the center shot and check your draw length. I have and old Bear Black Lightening and I was haveing the same problem until I took it to a proshop and had a whisker bisket QS and a peep sight...had it set up with a laser and my groups at 40 yds are now about 6" which is much better.....the draw length on my bow is a little long for me and has been adjusted down as much as possible. I am sure if I could get the draw length were it should be my groups would be even better.....but the laser set up was very inexpensive and well worth it....hope this helps..........some of us are stuck with the OLD stuff for now..lol
Old 11-23-2004, 01:15 PM

I shoot a pretty old bow, compared to what alot of guys have here, I am shoot an XI demon and only have been bow hunting for a year, I practiced all summer and got the bow with groups out to 30 yards that tore my arrow fletchings to shreads to the point I went through 24 arrows before hunting season began. the bow as a old cheapy trueglow three pin sight, that I am only using 2 pins on, a peep sight and a whisker biscuit. 57# and 27" arrows.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:59 PM

I've revamped an old compound myself. Not knowing wether I would be any good at archery, I got a used Proline Magnum II and refitted it with a whisker biscuit, PSE Ultra lite sight, Tru Fire Patriot release, peep sight, new string and correct draw length. My Bow shop has been instrumental in helping me get setup. I've been surprising myself at how I group at 20 yds. Funny I tend to get two arrows within 2" but often the third will be 6" away. That disturbs me for hunting. But I think it is just a matter of technique. I'm so encouraged I got another used PSE Thunder-Flite Express coming.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Revamping my 20+ year old browning was the best thing I ever did. Its slow as anything, but fairly accurate. I used to shoot fingers, but after having a doe jump the string on a "gimme" shot, I put the bow down and didnt shoot for 12 years. Picked it up a few years back and started shooting it again. It was still pretty accurate for me, but slow as ever. I deciced to update it a bit. I switched from fingers to a release, that worked well, but it made the bow a little long for me. Also, I removed the cushion plunger and flipper rest and replaced it with a TM style rest and some cheapie fiber optic sights. Thats the best thing I ever did...not for the bow though. I couldn't shoot consistantly anymore to save my life. Thats when I went out and got my new Bowtech! Best thing I ever did as far as archery is concerned. i can't believe the difference between the old dinosaur and this modern stuff!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine was trying to shoot and hunt with an old Bear Whitetail Hunter. He could shoot it reasonably well, and really they should be able to shoot with accuracy. There is really only so much you can do with a bow like that however. I gave the guy a Darton Viper that I got pretty cheap. He was just amazed by the bow, and couldn't get over how the "new" bow was shooting arrows right through his straw bales! You certainly can do some upgrades to your old bow, and they may help some. If you can't afford a new bow, there is another option. A quality used bow that is still quite a bit newer than your Bear will be reasonable in cost (bows depreciate quickly), and offer you significantly better performance.