Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

hybrid cams

Old 11-11-2004, 03:24 PM

Default hybrid cams

which manufacturer in your opion carries the better hybrid for a smoother draw, are they really more forgiving and easier to draw because of there cycle.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hybrid cams

Try a darton or a merlin , their smooth draw cycle is PART of what made all the other companies go to their system . The reason I mention merlin is I feel they are closest to the original , with hoyt being furtest away , not realy a hybred , but something else .
Old 11-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Forgiving is a relative term. I don't necessarily know if I would say that hybrid cams are more forgiving in general but rather offer a different feel which appeals to some archers.

Darton is the originator of the concept so I would probably suggest that you start your search there. Hoyt is generally considered to have a slightly smoother draw cycle but then again, that is subjective.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

IMHO the Merlin is the most new-user-friendly of the bunch as it comes with complete instructions including diagrams showing how to properly setup each bow regardless of preferred drawlength. The modules can be changed without a press too unless you need to move the control post. Pretty simple. Both the Merlin and Darton have excellent smoothness of draw. I tip the hand to the Merlin because IMHO they also have the craftsmanship, geometry, and overall balance, along with the Syntech limbskin technology which dampens vibration without having to purchase aftermarket gizmos. JMHO Pinwheel 12
Old 11-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hybrid ams, by design have a smoother draw cycle. They do not climb to peak weight as early in the cycle and/or do not hold the peak weight as long. Thus they draw easier and don't drop into the valley as sharply. Conversely, that's what makes them a bit slower than harder cams. Basically what you have is an energy wheel in a single cam bow that supposedly yields level nock travel. Two cam bows don't have this problem.

Darton was the originator of them with their CPS system. Then along came Hoyt nine years later. And, as usual everybody else is jumping on the bandwagon. I haven't drawn too many bows with hybrids, but I know that Martin's Tru Arc is a nice drawing bow. Still, I'll stay with the Nitrous cams. Speed out the kazoo with light weight and short draw.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smooth draw is a relative term, and very subjective. I remember having this debate a few years ago regarding the Darton Express CPS system. Some guys did not like the draw, but preferred a typical single type later peak with sharper drop off. Now that you have single cams like the Bowtech Freedom cam that peaks early and gradually drops into the valley, that is what people are calling smooth. I have drawn and shot Darton's Express and Extreme cams, Hoyt's Cam and a Half, the Newberry version of the Hoyt, and the Browning Mirage 1.5. For me, the Darton Express and the Browning feel the smoothest, but I prefer an earlier peak and gradual finish. The Darton Extreme extends the peak a little longer then the Express, but it is still smooth (to me) and so much quieter that it is worth it. The Hoyt peaks later, which some guys like, but I personally don't. The Newberry peaks still later, about the point where it bothers my draw shoulder. It also has no valley to speak of, so it was not to my liking. Again though, it is all relative. Seeing graphs of the Martin Nitrous cams, they seem to store energy much like the Newberry and likewise have no real valley. Many guys like them, but I don't think I would.

As far as forgiveness related to smoothness, I doubt that such a thing really exists unless you are borderline overbowed in the first place. Look at the accuracy a lot ot guys get out of the Black Knight 2. Not smooth to draw, low brace, but some shoot it extremely well.
I did find tuning broadheads to be quite easy with both of my Dartons compared to most of the single cams I have tried, but lots of guys seem to tune quite well, whether it is with a hybrid, single, or twin. Hope you find what you are looking for. The Merlins may be very good, but the only ones I have ever personally seen were the older, cheaper Tempest and Shadow. That would be somewhat like judging Hoyt based on the MT Sport.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 PM

Alot depends on the geometry of the bow also. I have identical SAT hybrids on my two Newberrys..one is a B1 (that I bought from JoePA) the other is a LB1. The B1 has a 30* limb pocket and 7 1/4" B.H., the LB1 has 35* limb pockets, a longer riser and 8" BH. They pull identical weights and draw length. Even though they are identical cams the B1 peaks later and drops off hard like Joe said. The LB1 is much more subtle, peaks sooner and actually has a valley.

The issue when comparing hybrids and their draw characteristics is as much the bow geometry as the cam.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:35 PM

It took me owning several different bows to figure out what draw cycle I preferred. Everyone has their own preference and you won't find the answers in a poll of shooters. Virtually every cam on the market will have it's loyal followers and promoters, so the answer will depend on who you talk to. You gotta shoot 'em to find out which you'll prefer. A few shots at a bow shop won't do it. It's takes lots of time at the practice range to figure out which allows you to maintain your best form.

Supposedly the hybrids are more forgiving towards broadhead flight. While this may hold true for an out of tune bow, I haven't found this to be the case with my experimentation with well tuned bows of different cam configurations. Or at least if it is, I couldn't measure the difference.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It took me owning several different bows to figure out what draw cycle I preferred
Straightarrow, what FDC did you finally settle on as being easiest to pull for you?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 PM

Rangeball,

I've come to really like the hybrid cam. My shoulder has tendonitis, among other problems and this type of cam is very easy on it. I also prefer the distinct valley it gives me. That sharp drop off into a non-existant valley that many single cams give you, is not something I like. I don't like they way they feel and I don't shoot as well with them. I realize that with speed being such a popular item with many people, that cams with no valley to speak of, are going to remain popular - just not with me.

Quick Reply: hybrid cams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.