Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 #8125- how long will it continue to creep? >

#8125- how long will it continue to creep?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

#8125- how long will it continue to creep?

Old 11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default #8125- how long will it continue to creep?

My diamond hornet is strung with #8125, with several hundreds of shots on it. After the initial creep, I twisted things back to factory spec, tuned up, sighted in and have been shooting away for several months, with no movement.

Last week I shot the day before a hunt, everything was perfect. Got up the following morning, walked to my tree, slapped my climber on, climbed, got set up, and 20 minutes later took a 15 yard shot at a P&Y 10 point. I missed him low, right under his heart area, shaving hair off his chest. I figured I muffed the shot, but since when I pulled up and drew my draw length felt a tad long, I wasn't so sure to blame the operator

I just got a chance to shoot my bow, and found that I was a good 3-4" low on every shot. Sight, NP and rest are rock solid and haven't moved, nock point seems secure, but when I shot through paper, I have a good 1/4" nock low and slightly left tear, which previously was a perfect bullet hole. I checked and found my ATA had increased 1/4" or more.

I'm perplexed. For the life of me I can't come up with a reason why my string/cable would stretch 1/4" essentially overnight, then hold steady there. I plan to twist things back up, but I'm totally confused and dissapointed as I've tried to do my best to make sure me and my equipment was ready for the moment of truth, and this came totally out of right field...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: #8125- how long will it continue to creep?

One plausible explanation I've developed is that the string didn't
stretch overnight, but had been continually creeping, and finally
crept enough that my nock became low enough to contact and careen off
the black holding fibers of the Whisker Biscuit BK2, causing it to
kick upwards and nosedive, providing the low impact. I'll check the
cam/axels/bushings out as best as possible, and assuming they appear
fine, will just start with twisting my string up. If I recall
correctly, the cable controls cam rotation, and my cam timing marks
are dead on, leading me to suspect string creep as the culprit. If
so, I'll twist it up until it feels right and see what that does to my
nock point and tune. Hopefully, just getting the string back to
proper length will resolve the issues.

I'm thinking my string/cable will be of a NO CREEP EVER material, no
matter what small amount of energy I have to give up to get it, which I think is what Merlin does, and now I see why. This fricking sucks...
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear the bad luck... I'm starting to notice quite a bit of creep from my strings as well, and you are right. It really does suck.

Good luck resolving the problem!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:15 AM

Ask BCY about it. They make 8125.

Their email is [email protected]

Their website is http://www.bcyfibers.com/

Since I started making my own strings & cables, I've used only 450 plus. It's a little slower than 8125, but since it's thicker, I need fewer strands. That makes it quicker to build a string. I don't get any creep that I can detect or any peep rotation.

Let us know what you find out.

Allen
Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. At this point, I twisted the string back up, which seemed to improve the tune/flight with the WB. Leads me to believe what I suspected above is what happened. So, not wanting to go through that again, I ditched the WB and put my Savage drop away back on. Everything now seems ok, and I'm ready for the woods again...

I'll just keep an eye on things from here and deal with it after the season ends.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

My Hoyt Protec has 8125. It hasn't crept at all in 2600 shots.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball,

I got a string from Prostrings a few months ago, made of 18 strands of 8125. After about a hundred shots it stretched about 1/8" or less. I needed four twists in the string to tweak my drawlength. It has been fine ever since. Best explaination I can come up with is to ditch the thing, especially if it's a factory string, and get one from Shel at Prostrings.

It's not always the material that it's made of but the quality of the workmanship in making them. We hardly ever know who makes strings for the manufacturers unless they tell us. Few people ever give strings a thought but they are very important. It's probable that your string was not pre-stretched so the strands have to stretch out tothe length of the longest one in the group. That's why I am learning to replace factroy strings as soon as I get the bow. I almost hate to plug products unless I have experience with them. From what I have seen I'd have to recommend Prostrings. Another thing is that they don't cost much more than a factory replacement model.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BG. I'm confident you're right, Diamond only charged me $20 for the string and cable, and I have serving seperations, so I know it's not a top notch built set.

At this point, I'll keep a close eye on it, and if I decide not to get a new bow in '05, will definitely be looking at top quality aftermarket options. If I do get a new bow, unless it's from a company already using top notch stuff, it'll get a replacement as well.