Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow help ke/fps >

arrow help ke/fps

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow help ke/fps

Old 10-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default arrow help ke/fps

Hey guys im thinking about switching from my terminator hunters to gold tips and was wondering about speed and ke.

Here is my setup:
Pse Firestorm Lite
29" draw @60 lbs. maxed out
Loop with nock next to it
leeches
peep with rubber tube
doinker

Ok im currently shooting 220 fps with my terminator hunters which weigh in at about 451 gr. with head, and with eastons calculator it said it puts out 48.48 lbs of ke.

I would like to switch to gold tips and it says that they will weigh in about about 393 gr. with tip.

So my question is will i get the 16 fps with the lighter arrow to keep the ke at 48 lbs. ?

I am also planning on switching to a tubless peep, pulling the brass nock off, and removing the leeches so the only things i have on the string are loop and tubless peep. (if you read my other post about the leeches you know why i want to take them off.)

I am planning on redoing my setup for next season, I would like to do all of the above and change to a trophy ridge v-drive pendulum and drop zone rest.

thanks

Vince
Old 10-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow help ke/fps

Just arrow for arrow, I think you'll find the lighter arrow wil carry less KE, even though it's moving faster, probably within 1-3#s less, so not a big deal, really.

However, anything you take off the string will help and should come close to canceling out the difference.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd keep the Terminators and lose all the string accessories you can. What you can't lose, replace with lightweight alternatives. Like that nasty tube style peep can be replaced with a Fletcher TruPeep. That, alone, will give you something like another 10 fps. Lose the brass nockset for another 1-2 fps. Tossing the leeches will be good for another 3-5.

If you go to the Gold Tips, you may find that you cannot quiet your bow without string silencers of some kind. Frankly, I'd rather have the weight in the arrows, carrying energy downrange for improved penetration potential, than have it dangling uselessly from the bowstring.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

My old bow was noisy as hell and it still killed deer, this new one is quiet and with out the silencers and lighter arrows i bet it would still be quieter then the old one
Old 10-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

I would like the speed increase so i have a flatter flight of the arrow...to go with the pendulum sight i want to get