HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Changing draw length on HC Excalibur (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/76307-changing-draw-length-hc-excalibur.html)

hifinblu 10-18-2004 08:57 PM

Changing draw length on HC Excalibur

This is my first time on this forum and today I purchased my first compound bow. I used a recurve growing up. It is a High Country Excalibur, 65-80# carbon/graphite, already set up. It is a used bow and I like everything about it except the draw length is a little long. After looking at quite a few used bows the last few weeks, and depending on the bow, a 28" or 29" draw is what I need (my actual draw is 28 1/2"). This bow is 30". According to the sticker on it, it is adjustable either 26-30" or 29-33". The 30" is circled on the 26-30" line. The string is in excellent condition as is the bow. I know how to loosen the cable and string without causing damage to the bow. Can I adjust the draw length without replacing the string with a shorter one and how? Any advise is appreciated.

mjqood0 10-19-2004 02:45 AM

RE: Changing draw length on HC Excalibur

While I don't know anything specific about that bow, I'm assuming it's of the single cam variety (idler wheel on top).

All you usually have to do to adjust draw length on most single cams is to remove the cam, loosen a couple of screws and shift the two parts of the cam slightly. You then replace the screws. If you look closely at the cam, you will probably notice that there are a few small screws holding two pieces of it together.

If you don't have a manual for the bow, you may be best off taking it to a pro shop and paying them the few dollars to set it up for your uses.

Good luck and enjoy the bow!

jim243SRC 10-19-2004 06:44 AM

dual cam high countrys use modules, A1 is the short draw, E the longest. to short string the bow will drop the lbs. and will efect the let off. a bow press helps, but the mod. and be changed with out one. best to see your pro-shop.

Bigpapascout 10-19-2004 06:46 AM

the excalibur uses the hatchet cam system and is a modular draw change you will need a set of B modules for a 28" draw length

Mike from Texas 10-19-2004 05:19 PM

You can buy the modules directly from High Country if you don't have a nearby dealer. They run about $12 for a set. I let my buddy use my High Country bow this year and he had to drop it from a 31" to a 27" draw length.

hifinblu 10-19-2004 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I'll call High Country and order a set of modules. Then I'll take it to a pro. I'd like to have it tuned up anyway so I might as well have it done right. As I said in my original post, this is my first compound. I shot it about 80 times today. WOW! I think I'm hooked. Thanks again.