HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   DropZone Broke / Bare shaft tuning woes... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/76229-dropzone-broke-bare-shaft-tuning-woes.html)

mjqood0 10-18-2004 03:15 AM

DropZone Broke / Bare shaft tuning woes...

Well, got my new DropZone on, my new MicroMatrix sights on, got everything how I like it and the stupid rope on the drop zone came untied inside the rest.... [:@][:@]

So, I got back from the bow shop around 3pm yesterday (they fixed it and told me if it didn't hold, they would fix it again for free... I think I finally found a good bow shop!!! :D). Anyway, in order to fix it, he had to take it off the bow and when he put it back on he adjusted it for centershot. But when I got back home, all my fine tuning was gone so I decided to do it right and bare shaft tune.

So, at 5 yards, the back of my arrow is low and left. I decided to tackle the left issue first. The first recommendation is that the spine is wrong. But looking at the charts for my arrows, I should be a no brainer! So i'm pretty sure that's not the problem...

I tried moving my rest left. Got a little better, then started getting worse.

Thinking I was doing something wrong, I tried moving it right, just made it worse.

Never even got to the issue of the back end of the arrow being low.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else to move to adjust for uneven left / right flight?

I JUST WANT TO HUNT!!!!! But I can't get my equipment to be happy this year... I'm debating going back to aluminum arrows (i only have 4 left) and my old whisker biscuit and crappy sight... maybe it would work...

BOWFANATIC 10-18-2004 10:08 PM

RE: DropZone Broke / Bare shaft tuning woes...

Never even got to the issue of the back end of the arrow being low.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else to move to adjust for uneven left / right flight?
You should adjust your nock position first before adjusting anything else. Some folks like to adjust nock position by raising or lowereing the rest which is fine as long as you keep at least 2/3 of the arrow covering the hole in the side of your riser. I usually just adjust my nock position on the string first.

As for left/right adjustments , (assuming your a right handed shooter) a left impact indicates a heavy spine. You can either turn your poundage up until the arrow impacts the same as fletched shafts or try a heavier tip. Or you can try a longer arrow of the same spine or switch do a different spined arrow. Being a little over spined is not a big issue (to me anyway). How far to the left are your arrows impacting compared to your fletched shafts?

I'd also suggest backing up to 15 yards , 10 at the very least.

mjqood0 10-19-2004 03:00 AM

RE: DropZone Broke / Bare shaft tuning woes...

Thanks BOWFANATIC!

When I got it back from work yesterday, I sat down, took a couple of deep breaths and started again -- this time with the nock. Since i'm shooting a string loop, it was not too hard to move it up and down a little. After about 20 minutes of playing with it, things started to click and I got the verticle issues taken care of out to 20 yards. After that, i get a small amount of nock low behavior but I've heard that's normal due to the lack of fletchings.

So I started to tackle the windage problems. I was looking at my arrows, and I don't think I could be over spined. I'm shooting the equiv. of carbon express TR6075 at 29.5" with a 125gr tip and 70#draw. Knowing this, I started mucking around with the rest and finally found a setting that seems to give perfect flight. ;)

So, just have to tune the broadheads and I'm good to go!

Thanks for the help!