HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Whats wrong with my setup? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/75942-whats-wrong-my-setup.html)

Trueburton 10-14-2004 07:20 PM

Whats wrong with my setup?

I have never been able to get my groupings any closer than a 8 inch diameter. I shoot once a week about 6-10 groupings each time out. Is there maybe something setup wrong that i should look into? My FOC is 11%, 29 inch draw, 58lbs. Carbon Express 300 arrows with 100 grain heads. The bow is a PSE mojave fully stock. I shoot with a release.

Bigpapascout 10-14-2004 07:39 PM

RE: Whats wrong with my setup?

has the rest been set up right"
Nine times out of ten other than the shooter if a bow is not shooting good is because the rest is improperly set up.

Trueburton 10-14-2004 08:29 PM

what do you mean "right"? I bought the bow as a package deal and it can installed. so i don;t know if it is set up right or not. I had gander mountain set it up when i bought it. how can i tell if it is right?

Dairy King 10-14-2004 08:36 PM

Your rest need to be perfect. If its even an 1/8 of an inch up or down, or left or right, youll never get good groups.

wrenchman65 10-14-2004 10:13 PM

Have you paper tuned the setup?
There are many resources out there(here) to aid you in paper tuning.
Just because you bought it "installed" does not mean your setup is correct.
Make your adjutments to the rest so you are shooting 'bullets' at various ranges, then, assuming proper form, your goups should tighten up.

Greavous 10-15-2004 10:33 AM

Your rest aligns your arrow shaft to your bow and string. If it is poorly adjusted the arrow will have to overcome the initial poor flight and depending on how far you shoot and how out of tune it is the arrow may never get the chance to recover. Center shot anjustment and elevation of the rest are critical things to check. Read the paper tuning info here and maybe visit easton.com and read what they have to say and then follow up on it. The worst thing would to be to go hunting with the setup you have right now. A poorly hit deer is a mess to have on your hands and ethical hunters will do whatever they can to prevent this from happening if they can. If you are totally in the dark go pay the man at your local shop to help you. And try to ask questions about what he does to make things right and then shoot till you are ready to go out and do business. Also verify that you are using the correct shaft for your setup.

Hope you solve the issues.

Another thought. Have a look at your fletches to see if there is a contact problem. You can dust them with baby powder and shoot them and see if the powder ends up on your riser string or launcher on the rest.

mjqood0 10-15-2004 07:48 PM

At first glance, I wonder if it's a form issue on your part. I don't want to point fingers, but I learned long ago that a machine is only as good as the user. That being said, are you gripping the bow too tightly? When you release, does your bow rock forward in your hand (not a bad thing) or does it torque (twist in your hand -- bad)? Also, if you're shooting a release, does it have a swivel head so that you are sure it is releasing the string cleanly with no sideways "plucking" or anything? Last but not least (in fact, most important in all likelyhood) is the problem of consistant anchor. Do you have a peep sight or kisser button you always draw to? If not, this could be a MAJOR headache and cause the problems you are seeing.

If you cover these bases first and your groups don't improve, I'd take the bow to a real shop (i've had a really bad time with Gander Mtn... My wifes bow we bought there was all screwed up... cables on wrong side of cable guard, rest aligned wrong...). Any reputable shop will check centershot of your rest for around $10 or even for free depending on who you get there. Most shops also have a range and can watch you shoot and tell you any problems they see. You may pay a little, but it would be much better than getting frustruated with your bow and giving up on this sport.

Any new bow these days should be capable of shooting 3 inch groups at 20 yards. I'm sure a good shop can get you on the right track.

Good luck!!!

Bigpapascout 10-16-2004 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Trueburton

what do you mean "right"? I bought the bow as a package deal and it can installed. so i don;t know if it is set up right or not. I had gander mountain set it up when i bought it. how can i tell if it is right?
I dont think I can elaborate any more that what has already been said by these other guys.

center shot is the alignment of the arrow to the center line of the string
assuming the string center line is dead center of the riser you should be able to look down the center of the string and the arrow will be centered from front to back. some bows cams track to the center of the riser some bows cams are off set.

If the bow is a dual cam the arrow will set square to the string if it is a single cam the nocking point will be high from 1/8" to 3/8"
another thing to be concerned about dual cam bows is the timing of the 2 cams if the timing is off the bow will shoot the arrow eratically you will need to take the bow to a pro shop and have the tech look to make sure if it is in time and have him to explain how to check the timing of the cam

another thing to consider is that the bow is properly tuned and you are not using a consistant anchor point when shooting.

It is very inportant to do every thing the exact same way every time you shoot the bow.

gibblet 10-17-2004 07:32 AM

ditto, and there is the issue of only shooting once a week, and that's a major issue. can't go in the woods shooting once a week imho.

Trueburton 10-25-2004 12:44 PM

thanks for the help, I think it is simply an anchor point issue. The draw length is a little to long for me and i don't particularly like to use a peep sight. With the draw too far i can't anchor my thumb under my jaw so instead the tip of my thumb kinda floats under the corner of my jaw bone.