Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Whats wrong with my setup? >

Whats wrong with my setup?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whats wrong with my setup?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Whats wrong with my setup?

I think some people worry way too much about rest tuning, and not enough about shooting well. You can indeed shoot well with a rest that is not set up the best it could be. There have been pro archers win competitions with some very out of tune bows. If you have well matched arrows that have enough fletching on them they will stabilize in 10 or 15 yards, especially with target points. As a matter of fact, some archers throw thier rests out of tune on purpose to get the arrows to stabilize faster. i have also seen some really impressive shooters that shoot traditional off the shelf with no sights and using fingers. Doesn't leave a whole lot to adjust there does it.

I would guess it is your form, not your equipment. But don't feel bad, I would say 99% of the archers could shoot better than they currently do. Very few archers have absolute perfect form and aiming every time. It is also possible your bow does not fit you very well either. It's difficult to shoot a bow well or have good form if your draw length is too long or your draw weight is too high. Also take a look at how you grip the bow. Is your hand relaxed when you shoot, or do you have a death grip on the thing and torque it when you shoot? You should be perfectly relaxed when you release the arrow. The bow should actually jump out of your hand after the shot. Unless it's a newer one that has almost no shock or recoil to it. It should at least be able to roll off the front of your hand after the shot if balanced well. Get a wrist sling, they help!

Mechanically you could check to see that everything is tight. If your rest or sights are loose, that would cause inconsistancies from shot to shot.

Then check your arrows. They should be straight, weigh pretty much the same from arrow to arrow, be the same length and have consistant spine. You could also check to make sure you don't have any contact issues with the fletchings on the rest, harness and riser. This should be the first thing you do after installing the rest however. Make sure that all your fletching are oriented in the same fashion, if they are not rotate the nocks until they are. ( ei; all your odd colored vanes or feathers point is the same direction when on the bow. Like up, to the left, or down. Which ever gives you the best clearance.) This doesn't make them any more accurate, it just minimizes the possibility of contact issues. After that, number your arrows. That way you can tell if certain arrows are hitting the same spot every time. Say your #1 arrow hits high, #2 hits low right and #3 hits left, but they do it consistantly. Then you probably have a problem with your arrows.

Try shooting less arrows as well. Like three at a time, and rest a little between shots. Take your time and relax, archery is mostly mental. To be accurate you need to be consistant. You have to do the same thing every time from shot to shot. Maybe you can find someone to watch you shoot to see if you are doing something wrong like torquing the bow or dropping your arm after the shot.

Good luck and try to have fun,
Paul
Old 10-27-2004, 11:49 AM

I only shoot four arrows at a time. I do also believe the bow isn't setup just perfect for me. I need to get a better anchor before anything though. I'll try a kisser and peep sight.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:07 PM

I think you're on teh right track! Hang in there. It will come!

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but you can always try having someone snap digital camera pictures of you at full draw for a round or two. Looking back over them, you'll be amazed about how different you are holding the bow each time! It was an eye-opener for me!

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Spike

sounds kinda like a form issue to me,
A to long fo draw will also open your groups way up, I would suggest trying to get some picture taken of you shooting, and posting them on here, im sure these guys could give you some great pointers.
also is there a local pro shop you could go to? they could prob also help you out.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:01 AM

you cant go on shooting with a draw length that is too long for you. Forget about it. You'll never be consistent like this.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

RE: Whats wrong with my setup? (in reply to Trueburton)

I think some people worry way too much about rest tuning, and not enough about shooting well.
What?[:-]
How do you expect to shoot in the same line at different distances with the arrow rest off center

You can indeed shoot well with a rest that is not set up the best it could be. There have been pro archers win competitions with some very out of tune bows.
Name ONE![>:]

that is the silliest thing I have ever heard.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do know a person that won a world event with a bow that had a bent limb pocket.Out of respect to the tuner and the person that was shooting,I will leave their names out of it.

The person didn't know the pocket was bent and brought the bow to be fine tuned on a hooter shooter at this persons house.He tuned it to the best of his ability but the pocket was bent and a couple days/weeks(not sure) before the tournament was to late to do anything about it so he didn't tell the person.They went to the shoot and won.The bow was probably still tuned better than 95% of hunting bows out in the world.

I have also seen bows shooting 2" tears in paper win many 3-d tournaments.I have seen the tears and been with the person when they won the shoots.The center shot was set right on this bow.

Point is perfect form and confidence can go a long way.

If a setup is consistant,it can be poorly tuned and shot well.

BUT for us mortals that have a few flaws from time to time,it is imperative to get the best tune possible.This will allow the most forgiving setup along with allowing the best penetration possible.

I must say that I think even the best shooters would be better off if they were shooting perfectly tuned bows all the time but it is a fact that they don't always.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 AM

I have a saying when I am helping someone shoot a bow for the first time. Adjust the bow to fit you, not you to fit the bow. If it isn't comfortable adjust it, you should be relaxed and your anchor points consistant. A peep is a great aid to consistency

Practice does not make perfect
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:35 PM

As far as your anchor point:

Instead of placing your thumb underneath your jaw try placing it behind your neck. I've always done this, it really steadies you. My cousin taught me this, and he was 1 arrow from winning the IBO world shoot in snowshoe, wv. He misjudged the yardage on the alligator target so he finished 9th overall.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:44 PM

i had a hoyt that had the same problem and it was because the rest was set up wrong and i kept shooting it and eventually it completely broke during a target shoot i also shot carbon express arrows.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.